none
Owner tab missing. Cannot change permissions. RRS feed

• Question

• I have done an install of the April 2018 version of Windows 10 on an older Dell dual core machine. The machine had an older version of Windows 10 but I wanted a relatively clean install. So I selected to keep NO previous files.

The 240 GB C drive is the System drive and contains all programs and user files. The tiny 100 MB D drive has an unused Boot folder...possibly from a previous Windows install. That is all I see there and I am logged in as an administrator with "Show hidden files" checked. I am getting constant warnings about low disk space for that drive and wish to delete the boot folder (there is one on the C drive of course).

I am trying to change the ownership from Trusted Installer to Administrators. But the Owner Tab is missing in Advanced Security. Also there is no Edit option available to change permissions. What must I do to delete those files? 

Also, why would a Windows 10 install result in a D drive that has only 628 KB of free space?

Thanks for any help.

Thursday, October 25, 2018 1:30 AM

Answers

• Hi John, 

"I have found that the D drive was the Recovery Partition set up by the Windows Apr 2018 install."

The recovery partition on Windows 10 would consumes about 450MB, for Windows 7 it is 100MB. 

"The answer was to remove the Drive letter naming of the partition"

Every time when we upgrade Windows to the next version, the upgrade program will create a recovery partition if it detects that there is no sufficient space on your recovery partition (GPT disk) or system reserved partition (MBR disk). So there is no wonder that if you have many recovery partitions after upgrading to Windows 10.

Try to open "create and format disk partition" and check how many recovery partion you have. 

If there is a recovery partition about 500MB size located before of C driver, we could delete the 100MB recovery partition to free up some disk space. 

Bests, 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 26, 2018 2:59 AM

All replies

• Unlike Windows 7 there is no owner tab in Windows 10. Microsoft has removed Owner tab.

Right-click on the file or folder and go to Properties Windows. Under Properties click on “Security” Tab.

click on “Advanced”.

Next, in the window that appears, you have to click on “Change” and enter the object name.

S.Sengupta,Microsoft MVP Windows and Devices for IT, Windows Insider MVP

Thursday, October 25, 2018 2:17 AM
  • Thank you for that S.Sengupta. After searching more on the Internet I have found that the D drive was the Recovery Partition set up by the Windows Apr 2018 install. Many others were having problems with the Low Disk space warning.

The answer was to remove the Drive letter naming of the partition. That Drive Letter was placed there by Microsoft for some strange reason. If you had previously used the D: drive name for some other purpose, Windows renaming of Partitions would cause problems.

Open command prompt or windows powershell (Run as administrator)

Type:

mountvol [your desired partition]: /d and press Enter.

OEM partition will be removed after that :) in my case I had D letter

So I typed... mountvol D: /d and hit Enter button 

Thursday, October 25, 2018 6:55 PM
  • Hi John, 

"I have found that the D drive was the Recovery Partition set up by the Windows Apr 2018 install."

The recovery partition on Windows 10 would consumes about 450MB, for Windows 7 it is 100MB. 

"The answer was to remove the Drive letter naming of the partition"

Every time when we upgrade Windows to the next version, the upgrade program will create a recovery partition if it detects that there is no sufficient space on your recovery partition (GPT disk) or system reserved partition (MBR disk). So there is no wonder that if you have many recovery partitions after upgrading to Windows 10.

Try to open "create and format disk partition" and check how many recovery partion you have. 

If there is a recovery partition about 500MB size located before of C driver, we could delete the 100MB recovery partition to free up some disk space. 

Bests, 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 26, 2018 2:59 AM
  • Wow! There are 3 recovery partitions. Only the 100 mb partition is "before" the C drive. It is called "Healthy Primary Partition". There are 2 @ 450 mb "Healthy Recovery Partitions"..."Disk 0 partition 3" and "Disk 0 partition 4." 

Which one would be the most recent Recovery? Number 4?

Also why is the 100 mb useless partition labelled Primary.

I don't know what to do do fix this.

Thank you.

Friday, October 26, 2018 3:09 PM
  • I have this EXACT same issue and it's driving me looniebins!

Saturday, July 20, 2019 2:34 PM