Program worked on XP and older but crashes with Win 7 or 8.1 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi can someone please help solve this crash I am having on a very costly program that worked OK with XP and older but fails within a few minutes either used with Windows 7 Pro or Windows

I cannot get any help from the vendor who wrote the program and being it was very costly product I use with my work I need to solve this

to work on newer laptops that do not support XP

I am not programmer just a user of software but as the screenshots included the program seems to fail related to MVSBVM60.dll

I assume that has to do with visual basic ?

Being it fails on random time of program being used and fails on Win 7 and 8 I would think this dll would be newer then with XP as the program does not fail with XP

This product had to be installed as XP compatible and is in the program_files\x86\ .... directory

During the use of program no disk I/O or anything is going on other then values being changed that software does

I assure no other programs are in background or even screensaver coming on but in loading program and using it this same failure happens

could be 2 minutes of use or another time 15 minutes, then windows is shutting down and I lose all the work I had done while program was functional

Any ideas of fix, work around, some windows file or dll that could stop this from crashing ?

Thanks a lot if you can help solve this !

Wednesday, September 16, 2015 7:32 PM

All replies

• 1. This is very hard to give a reasonable answer. Perhaps application compatibility mode may help

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/10436/using-program-compatibility-mode-in-windows-7/

2. There were some procedures using shims - search internet for help.

3. There is possibility to run some programs in XP mode on W 7 and use Windows XP in Hyper-V, however there are some limits namely USB connectivity.

I understand your pain but there are some qualitative jumps that does not see back. And software vendors make living from new versions and new programs.

Regards

Milos

PS: Also try ACT from MS.

• Proposed as answer by Charles_Wang_ Friday, September 18, 2015 7:03 AM
    Wednesday, September 16, 2015 7:43 PM
  • this forum is not allowing me to insert images of snapshots of events, says it has to verify me even though I have a login account but text of one Log Name:      Application
    Source:        Application Error
    Date:          9/16/2015 11:47:10 AM
    Event ID:      1000
    Task Category: (100)
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      T500Thinkpad
    Description:
    Faulting application name: obd2_tuner.exe, version: 3.43.0.0, time stamp: 0x5522eabe
    Faulting module name: MSVBVM60.DLL, version: 6.0.98.15, time stamp: 0x4a5bda6c
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x0001b799
    Faulting process id: 0xeb0
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d0f0af2b0f1f7d
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\CATS\OBD2Tuner\obd2_tuner.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\MSVBVM60.DLL
    Report Id: 55ac6363-5ca3-11e5-86d6-d4bed98684a9
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Application Error" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>100</Task>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2015-09-16T18:47:10.000000000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>3033</EventRecordID>
        <Channel>Application</Channel>
        <Computer>T500Thinkpad</Computer>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data>obd2_tuner.exe</Data>
        <Data>3.43.0.0</Data>
        <Data>5522eabe</Data>
        <Data>MSVBVM60.DLL</Data>
        <Data>6.0.98.15</Data>
        <Data>4a5bda6c</Data>
        <Data>c0000005</Data>
        <Data>0001b799</Data>
        <Data>eb0</Data>
        <Data>01d0f0af2b0f1f7d</Data>
        <Data>C:\Program Files (x86)\CATS\OBD2Tuner\obd2_tuner.exe</Data>
        <Data>C:\Windows\system32\MSVBVM60.DLL</Data>
        <Data>55ac6363-5ca3-11e5-86d6-d4bed98684a9</Data>
      </EventData>

Wednesday, September 16, 2015 7:50 PM
  • Hi,

Have you tried the suggestion of compatibility mode which offered by Milos.

In addition to that, you can check the compatibility in Compatibility Center.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compatibility/CompatCenter/Home

If the steps above doesn’t work for you issue, you would better to contact the software manufacturer for help since it is a costly software.

Wish you will troubleshoot the issue smoothly.

Best Regards

Simon  

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Charles_Wang_ Monday, September 28, 2015 2:57 AM
    Friday, September 18, 2015 8:09 AM
  • Thanks for the 2 replies but yes the install program and then the EXE programs were set for XP compatibility mode and reason it is in the x86 directory and have tried either XP service pack 2 and 3 and same issue

The website you mention simply says it does not know the program so that is no use

Is it possible the MSVBVM60.DLL in windows syswow64 directory needs to be moved or copied to the system32 directory since it is running in XP compatibility mode ?

I did contact the vendor and they have no idea how to fix and sounds like no interest in fixing

JR

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

Have you tried the suggestion of compatibility mode which offered by Milos.

In addition to that, you can check the compatibility in Compatibility Center.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compatibility/CompatCenter/Home

If the steps above doesn’t work for you issue, you would better to contact the software manufacturer for help since it is a costly software.

Wish you will troubleshoot the issue smoothly.

Best Regards

Simon  

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Teamzr1 Friday, September 18, 2015 11:11 PM
    Friday, September 18, 2015 6:17 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply. You can try to enable app crash dump collection by copying following words into notepad, saving it as dump.reg and importing it:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\localdumps\explorer.EXE] change to your program exe file name

"DumpFolder"=hex(2):63,00,3a,00,5c,00,63,00,72,00,61,00,73,00,68,00,64,00,75,\

00,6d,00,70,00,73,00,00,00

"DumpCount"=dword:00000010

"DumpType"=dword:00000001

"CustomDumpFlags"=dword:00000000

Then, open explorer to repro the issue. If crash issue appeared, please find the crashdump file under c:\.

To further help you, please upload this file into Onedrive and shared the link here.

Wish you have a nice day.

Best Regards

Simon

Tuesday, September 22, 2015 7:46 AM
  • I can help you with this.

I was able to install the applications on Windows 10, but it requires some effort.
    It took several tries to get it installed and working.

Monday, November 28, 2016 3:04 AM