none
Primary, secondary DPM, loss of an entire site RRS feed

• Question

• I have a primary and a secondary DPM 2010 server. The primary is at our main office where all DCs are situated, the secondary is at a disaster recovery site and it's the only server (so no DCs are at that site).

If I lose every server (fire, flood) at our primary location am I still able to recover everything from our secondary DPM? If so what is the process? If not what needs to be done (the disaster recovery site doesn't have ideal security so I'd only place a DC/RODC if absolutely needed)?

• Edited by CypherMike Wednesday, May 2, 2012 6:48 PM
    Wednesday, May 2, 2012 6:45 PM

All replies

• You will need a domain controller on the 2nd site in case of a complete site failure otherwise you need to run though some extra steps recovering the DC from tape before you can start recovery

If you trust the site enough to place all your data you should be able to place a domain controller there also , if not consider using bitlocker on the domain controller.

Wednesday, May 2, 2012 7:59 PM
  • Thank you very much for the quick reply.

Good point about trusting a site enough to place all the data, unfortunatelly we're not able to use BitLocker on the DPM storage pool. I'm not sure now if the DC should be placed on a BitLocker protected volume, if it even makes sense to do that.

Thursday, May 3, 2012 10:54 AM
  • Bolting a server to the floor is always a option that will stop the cashual thief.

You can use bitlocker on the DC , the volumes that dpm data is on dont support bitlocker

Thursday, May 3, 2012 6:48 PM
  • I'm just about to implement adding a new DC to our disaster recovery site. Can it be a RODC or does DPM require a "regular" DC?

Thursday, May 17, 2012 11:09 AM