Exchange 2010 Copy Queue Length High On Database Copy RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm having an issue with our Mailbox database copy which is located at a remote site across a VPN. I came in today and noticed the database hasn't been replicating for a few days and the database copy was in a "Suspended" state. Once I resumed database copy it went back to a "Healthy" state, but now the Copy Queue Length is at like 8100 and it won't go down.

My question is whether or not there is a way to shrink the Copy Queue Lengthe back to zero. Do I have to remove the database copy and create a new one at our remote site? Or is there a different way? I haven't found much information on high Copy Queue Lengths so any information would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Wednesday, October 5, 2011 6:46 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Log truncation doesn't occur on the primary database copy when a passive copy is in a suspended state.  Do you have a lot of logs waiting to be truncated at the primary site?  Has a full backup occured at the primary site since you fixed the copy?

Dave

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed and/or postings on this site are my own personal opinions. They do not represent or reflect the opinions of my employer.
    • Marked as answer by mike0492 Wednesday, October 12, 2011 11:01 PM
    Wednesday, October 5, 2011 8:35 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Log truncation doesn't occur on the primary database copy when a passive copy is in a suspended state.  Do you have a lot of logs waiting to be truncated at the primary site?  Has a full backup occured at the primary site since you fixed the copy?

Dave

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed and/or postings on this site are my own personal opinions. They do not represent or reflect the opinions of my employer.
    • Marked as answer by mike0492 Wednesday, October 12, 2011 11:01 PM
    Wednesday, October 5, 2011 8:35 PM
  • @Dave

Yes, there are logs from the 3rd at the primary site. Is that normal to have logs from 2 days ago? I wasn't sure of the retention of logs in 2010.

Also, I just fixed the replication from being suspended this afternoon so no, a full backup hasn't been run since I fixed the replication. It is supposed to run tonight which I was going to wait to run until I made any other changes. I was hoping a backup would resolve the issue. Will it?

Side note: A full backup has been running though on the primary while the replication has been suspended. I'm not sure if that'll have any effect.

Thanks for the response!

Wednesday, October 5, 2011 9:04 PM
  • Mike,

Sorry for the delay - did the full backup clear the logs after replication was restored?

Dave

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 10:22 PM
  • @Dave - Yeah, thankfully after the full backup ran the old logs were deleted. After that, the Copy Queue Length gradually went down in the morning.

Thanks for your advice! I wasn't aware the logs weren't purged when the Copy Database is unable to communicate with the primary database. Fortunately, it wasn't that painful

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 11:01 PM