none
Gradual Migration from PS2007 to PS2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Is it possible to perform a "gradual" migration from PS2007 to PS2010?  I.e., have a new PS2010 environment, and migrate the PS2007 projects across in batches, spread across a period of time.  I believe this was possible in the migration from PS2003 to PS2007 by specifying which projects to migrate in the .ini file.  From what I have read on the PS2007 to PS2010 process, it looks as if it is done all in one go by upgrading the databases.

Is there any way of migrating (say) one department's projects at a time? 

Thanks,
    Richard

Thursday, February 17, 2011 4:11 PM

Answers

• Hi Richard,

The only way I am aware of to gradually migrate content from a PS2007 instance to PS2010 would be to manually import / upload projects into the 2007 instance. You are correct, the usual DB attach method upgrades and imports everything.

The manual approach does cause some issues, which you may need to take into account:

• Enterprise Resource Pools - if you are using these, you would end up having two, one in 2007, one in 2010 and would most likely run into problems around your consolidated view.
    • Backwards Compatability Mode - if you are looking at leveraging this, you would need to manually trick PS2010 into using this at instance creation time (this is only enabled via an upgrade)
    • Workspace migration - you would need to manually move the workspace content over

I would have to ask what your requirement is around gradually moving departments over, what is the driver behind this?

Alex Burton
    www.epmsource.com | Twitter
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Thursday, February 17, 2011 6:20 PM

All replies

• Hi Richard,

The only way I am aware of to gradually migrate content from a PS2007 instance to PS2010 would be to manually import / upload projects into the 2007 instance. You are correct, the usual DB attach method upgrades and imports everything.

The manual approach does cause some issues, which you may need to take into account:

• Enterprise Resource Pools - if you are using these, you would end up having two, one in 2007, one in 2010 and would most likely run into problems around your consolidated view.
    • Backwards Compatability Mode - if you are looking at leveraging this, you would need to manually trick PS2010 into using this at instance creation time (this is only enabled via an upgrade)
    • Workspace migration - you would need to manually move the workspace content over

I would have to ask what your requirement is around gradually moving departments over, what is the driver behind this?

Alex Burton
    www.epmsource.com | Twitter
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Thursday, February 17, 2011 6:20 PM
  • Hi Alex,

Thanks for your reply, and apologies for my delay in acknowledging it!  The reason we're looking for a way to do a gradual migration is that we have an existing deployment of PS2007 and we're bringing in a new PS2010 instance that will be used (for the first year) for investment portfolio management - i.e., the opportunity prioritisation (create and selection phases) cycle.  The existing 1000+ in-flight projects will still be managed on the existing 2007 platform for the time being.  Moving them across now is just too big a change for the organisation!

Eventually, we would want to migrate the existing projects to the new PS2010 platform, but that is a year or so away.  At that point in time, though, the PS2010 databases will already contain data (the new opportunities that have been collected during the first year) so we wouldn't be able to simply upgrade the PS2007 databases to 2010 via the attach method.

The original plan was to allow the existing projects to live out their lives on the PS2007 system, and to have new ones on PS2010, so there would have been no need for any migration of projects.  As it turns out, some of the projects on PS2007 are multi-year, so would need to be moved to the new system if we don't want to have two systems running side by side for the next five years.

I think what we may end up doing is a manual process for those few long-term projects:  save them out as MPP files, and then upload them into PS2010.  We don't use timesheeting, so there's nothing to be lost there.  The SharePoint sites may be something of a challenge, though...

Thanks again,
    Richard

Thursday, March 17, 2011 11:30 AM