Not Loging 2 Limited Account RRS feed

• Question

• On ocasions I am not able to login to the limited account after logging off.  I do not get the cursor.  If I try to access the account through one of my administrator accounts, it says that it can not be modified because it is still being used.  I double checked that I logged off instead of locking the machine but it still does not work well.

I have attempted reinstallation but no change.  I have found workarrounds but this is not convenient.

Friday, July 6, 2007 12:12 AM

Answers

• Eddie,

this can possibly be remedied by installing the User Profile Hive Cleanup service, see:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=1B286E6D-8912-4E18-B570-42470E2F3582

The only problem with this is that in the Windows SteadyState v. 2.0 upgrade procedure from the Shared Computer Toolkit v. 1.1, the removal of this same service, that was used in combination with SCT v. 1.1, is indicated.

Could someone from MSFT shed some light on this, please? Is it absolutely necessary not to have the UPHC service anymore, or is it considered to be superfluous only?

Sammy?

TIA.

Jan J.

Friday, July 6, 2007 6:50 AM
  • From the problem description, it can be related to the Fast User Switch being enabled. If you have enabled this feature, please turn it off to test this issue again.

If problem continues after disabling Fast User Switching, please uninstall and reinstall the tool in a clean boot environment. For how to do a clean boot, please see: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353/en-us

As for UPHClean tool, the handbook recommends you uninstalling UPHClean and SCT v1.1 first and then performing a clean installation of SteadyState. In this way, we can avoid any potential conflicts which may cause SteadyState installation failure. After SteadyState is installed successfully, you can then reinstall UPHClean tool if needed.

By the way, you can refer to this thread on this similar issue:

User Account Can Not Be Edited :

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsToolsandUtilities/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1784859&SiteID=69

Monday, July 9, 2007 12:34 PM

All replies

• Eddie,

this can possibly be remedied by installing the User Profile Hive Cleanup service, see:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=1B286E6D-8912-4E18-B570-42470E2F3582

The only problem with this is that in the Windows SteadyState v. 2.0 upgrade procedure from the Shared Computer Toolkit v. 1.1, the removal of this same service, that was used in combination with SCT v. 1.1, is indicated.

Could someone from MSFT shed some light on this, please? Is it absolutely necessary not to have the UPHC service anymore, or is it considered to be superfluous only?

Sammy?

TIA.

Jan J.

Friday, July 6, 2007 6:50 AM
  • Thanks for the help Jan.  This worked fine.  I only wonder why this was not made a Windows update since I have seen it on every XP machine I have used!
    Friday, July 6, 2007 4:00 PM
  •  Eddieduce@hotmail.com wrote:
    Thanks for the help Jan.  This worked fine.  I only wonder why this was not made a Windows update since I have seen it on every XP machine I have used!

Update:

This program was a temporary fix but I would still have to do this every time I, or the user, logs off the restricted account.  If an administrator is not next to the machine, and being it that windows constantly freezes, this would still be an un necesary thing to be doing constantly.

Friday, July 6, 2007 5:00 PM
  •  Eddieduce@hotmail.com wrote:
    This program was a temporary fix but I would still have to do this every time I, or the user, logs off the restricted account. If an administrator is not next to the machine, and being it that windows constantly freezes, this would still be an un necesary thing to be doing constantly.

Eddie,

I am not sure what the problem is you are experiencing now, but please let me elaborate somewhat on the use of UPHClean.  It's a service, i.e. it's a program that, once installed, gets loaded at the startup of the machine and stays loaded and active in the background doing the job it has been designed for until the machine is shutdown.

In the case of UPHClean, it helps unloading user profiles that don't get unloaded properly for some reason.  It was created by Robin Caron from Microsoft, but is not supported by Microsoft as "official" software.

It was explicitely used in the previous versions of Windows SteadyState, the Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit v. 1.0 and v. 1.1.  But as I have indicated in my previous post, it has been as explictely not used with Windows SteadyState v. 2.0 since the installation manual on p. 10 states to uninstall it, as part of the SCT v. 1.x removal.

It's unclear to me why this is and despite my explicit request for comment, Microsoft hasn't reacted yet.  In my humble opinion there is no reason for problems with hung user profiles now being less important than before, as you have experienced yourself.

HTH.

Jan J.

Monday, July 9, 2007 6:51 AM
  • From the problem description, it can be related to the Fast User Switch being enabled. If you have enabled this feature, please turn it off to test this issue again.

If problem continues after disabling Fast User Switching, please uninstall and reinstall the tool in a clean boot environment. For how to do a clean boot, please see: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353/en-us

As for UPHClean tool, the handbook recommends you uninstalling UPHClean and SCT v1.1 first and then performing a clean installation of SteadyState. In this way, we can avoid any potential conflicts which may cause SteadyState installation failure. After SteadyState is installed successfully, you can then reinstall UPHClean tool if needed.

By the way, you can refer to this thread on this similar issue:

User Account Can Not Be Edited :

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsToolsandUtilities/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1784859&SiteID=69

Monday, July 9, 2007 12:34 PM