HOWTO?? 32-Bit XP to 64-bit Vista? RRS feed

• Question

• Presently, I'm running 32-bit XP Pro (from a now expired MSDN universal subscription) on a AMD64 PC. 

I'd like to upgrade to Vista.  When I noticed that my (full-licensed retail Ultimate) Vista box had both the 32-bit & 64-bit disks, I figured it time's to move to 64-bits.

However, setup balked, saying I can't upgrade directly from 32-bit XP to 64-bit Vista.

Is there an alternative method which doesn't involve erasing my hard disk? (or at least one which allows me to restore all my settings?)

I thought about upgrading from XP32 -> XP64 ->Vista64, using the XP64 from the MSDN univ, except it uses a different install key than the one I have for the XP32, and since the subscription expired, I can't get a new one.

Thursday, May 17, 2007 5:29 PM

All replies

•  

When you insert a Windows Vista 64-bit DVD within a 32-bit operating system, and setup is launched, the operation is unsuccessful, and you receive the following error message:

Setup cannot run on this version of the Operating System. To install Windows please try booting from the install media.

When you try to upgrade a computer’s operating system from the 64-bit version of Windows XP Professional (x64) to a 64-bit version of Windows Vista, the upgrade is disabled. This is because the new install engine for Vista is significantly different from the XP version. 

The transfer wizard will ease a lot of pain (and works great, but backup your current system first):

928634 How to use Windows Easy Transfer to migrate files and settings
    from one Windows-based computer to another Windows Vista-based computer
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;928634

To get the migration wizard for XP, go to microsoft.com/downloads and search on

"Windows Easy Transfer"

this is the current link

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/results.aspx?pocId=&freetext=Windows%20Easy%20Transfer&DisplayLang=en

As an aside, if you have a 64-bit version of Windows Vista installed, you can upgrade to an allowed 64-bit version of Windows Vista. For example, you can upgrade Vista Home Premium to Vista Ultimate.  All Vista DVD's have x64 version of the respective edition purchased.

HTH,

Tom

Friday, May 18, 2007 1:51 AM
  • Ok, that look like what I want.   Just to make sure, I understand, it sound like what I want to do is:

1. Run Windows Easy Transfer, saving the transfer file onto a network share.

2. Bulk copy my "Program Files" directory onto a network share.

3. Do a clean install of Vista64 (erasing/formating the hd in the process)

4. Selectively bulk copy the contents of the saved Program Files folder back onto my hd (carefully avoiding overwritting MSFT files that were updated with Vista)

5. Run Windows Easy Transfer, reading the file saved to the network shared.

6. bask in the glow that all (well, most) of the appliations I was running under XP, are now running under Vista, as I had configured them under XP.

Is that basically it?

Friday, May 18, 2007 9:25 PM