Trusted Domain email attributes - Can't email users in secondary trusted domain. RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using MOSS 2007 in this scenario with externally available sites that are using secure bind and accessible via HTTPS only. 

I can't add external users to my standard internal domain so I created a second local domain for my external users and had it trusted to the primary domain.  I am able to add users to the secondary trusted domain and give them access to my sites without any problems.  My main issue is that I can't get MOSS 2007 to email these users.  I have no exchange on the secondary domain so I have no exchange attributes on the user accounts.  I attempted to enter the email attribute on the general tab of the user account in AD on my secondary domain, but still no email goes to this email account.

Is there some kind of attribute mapping within MOSS I'll need to do to make this work?  Will I have to extend my AD schema in my secondary domain to manually add the Exchange attribute and then populate that attribute manually? 

Anyone else have a scenario like this? 

Thursday, June 23, 2011 3:37 PM

All replies

• I have not experienced this before but here is one idea, 

SharePoint stores user accounts used in a site collection locally which at times do not sync with the latest info from AD. Create a test account in the secondary domain and add a valid email address to this account in AD. Add this account to the SharePoint site. When the new account is added, SharePoint automatically sends a new email automatically, then your issue is probably because SharePoint is not updating the locally stored accounts with the email address that you have assigned in AD.

Make sure that the SharePoint outgoing email settings are setup correctly for the farm/web application. Let me know if this worked. 

Here to help.
    Friday, June 24, 2011 2:44 AM
  • I've definitely already tried that.  Email functions perfectly for internal users on our primary domain.  Whether it be new additions to a site or alerts defined within a workflow. 

I believe the issue is related to the fact that the exchange attributes are not set on these users and thus whatever AD attribute is used to define email address (aside from Email on the general tab) is not set. 

When I look at the user in Sharepoint I don't see any value to the "work email" field and that's what I believe needs to synch from AD to MOSS. 

Friday, June 24, 2011 1:56 PM
  • ^BUMP^ 

Nobody has any idea about this?  I've even edited the user profile within Shared Services and I can't get it to send email to this trusted domain user. 

Monday, June 27, 2011 2:20 PM