SfB - Networ issues are keeping you from sharing notes and presenting RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Guys,

I'm new to the SfB world and trying to catch up slowly... The infrastructure is newly deployed in our environment which is consisting of;

• 2 SQL Always-ON
    • 3 Front-End Servers
    • 2 Edge Servers
    • Single Internal and External Citrix NLB.

I'm not convinced at all as every issue, his is palming the VDI and its not going to work.  I agree, the VDI integration with Lync/SkypeForBusiness has got some limitation, but those limitation are not related to the Presentation / WebApp etc etc...

While I'm just being curious and trying to find what is the issue, I have fired both clients using Physical Laptops and the presentation somewhat started working fine...

The Edge Servers are configured with two Network Adapters, DMZ/External and Internal Interface, the worried things I have noticed that the External/DMZ interface is configured with three IPs on the Same subnet and Public DNS servers 8.8.8.8

Both servers on the Internal Interface doesn't have a Gateway, and the Gateway is configured on the DMZ/External Interface.

Both servers are having a static route for all the internal subnets (vLANs) going through the Gateway of the Internal Interface of the LAN side 

This configuration are on both Edge Servers  and the things worried me and I'm suspecting this error (( Network issues are keeping you from sharing notes and presenting)) and ((An error occurred while presenting)) are related to the multiple IPs that are configured into the External/DMZ interface on both Edge Servers. This as well ((we can't connect to the server for presenting right now..))

Ideally, how this supposed to work and what is the correct configuration must be in place in order for all SfB features to work correctly..?

I would highly appreciate if you could just shade some info to me at least I can troubleshoot correctly.

I'm certainly sure, VDI doesn't have a limitation when it comes to a Presentation , sharing screen, Whiteboard etc etc...

What's your opinion?

Regards,

• Edited by hms_24 Friday, June 2, 2017 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, May 31, 2017 2:12 PM

Answers

• Hi Hussain,

As I am concerned, if it works on Windows 10, it means there are no any configured issues. So I suggest you update Lync client to check if the issue persist.

Best Regards,
    Jim Xu
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by hms_24 Monday, June 19, 2017 7:11 AM
    Wednesday, June 14, 2017 3:14 AM
  • Hi Jim,

I configured two VDI machines, Windows 10 and Windows 8.1 Enter 64bit to SfB 2016 client - Basic, and it works without any issues. The only thing it doesn't work externally, that proves the VDI is not an issue. But one thing is missing which is, the VDI Plugin integration is missing in 2016 Client.

Any idea if Skype for Business 2016 Client can integrate with the VDI plugin ?

Regards,

Friday, June 16, 2017 9:28 PM

All replies

• Hi hms_24,

From your state, network for Skype for business Edge server seem to be correct, you could refer to the following links to learn more about network for Skype for business server 2015:
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt346415.aspx
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt346416.aspx

So please give us more details about this issue, for example:
    Did this issue occur to internal user? Or external organization?
    Could you give us an snapshot about error?

In addition, I will add: VDI could share screen or do a presentation etc. double confirm all Skype for business services are running on Skype for business server 2015.

Best Regards,
    Jim Xu

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, June 1, 2017 7:47 AM
  • Hi Jim,

Thank you very much for taking the time to read this post and provide your feedback... Part of the testing I have made;

• Surface Pro with Windows 10 and SfB client 1607 14393.1066
    • Laptop With Windows 10 and SfB client 1607 14393.1198
    • Both clients are connected into the LAN/WiFi

Presenting PowerPoint, Whiteboard, works fine without any issue... that's the reason SFB engineers started palming the VDI :)

• Laptop with Windows 10 and SfB client 1607 14393.1198
    • Dell XPS "All-In-One" with Windows 8.1 Pro and SfB client office 2013

Result: Only Windows 10 laptop can present, but when I try to present from the XPs or Any Windows 8 machine, I'm getting the usual errors;

• We can’t connect to the server for presenting right now.
    • Network issues are keeping you from sharing notes and presenting whiteboards, polls and uploaded Pow…
    • An error occurred during the Skype Meeting.

Made another test with VM Win7 installed on vSphere and Lync Client 2013 but that didn't work as well..

As I'm typing, I'm building a VM with Windows 10 and I will put the latest update on it and I will conduct a test between VDI, and this Machine and will see how it goes.

I did another test last night from home and I was connecting from the Laptop with Windows 10 and SfB client 1607 14393.1198 to and Remote Session into my Work VDI VM, but that still didn't work at all. Which I suspects another external configuration might cause this issue, because in the INternal LAN, I'm able to present from the Laptop to the VDI Client.

Any further recommendations..?

Regards,

Thursday, June 1, 2017 9:06 AM
  • Powerpoint presentation working through the WAC published in the reverse proxy of your environment.Not through the Edge server.If you have issue on desktop sharing and audio video calls,then you should look for the edge server connectivity.For this AV edge IP should have ports allowed to and from TCP 443 and UDP 3478.

PPT you should publish WAC external url on reverse proxy.

Jayakumar K

Thursday, June 1, 2017 9:54 AM
  • Hi JayKumar,

Desktop sharing works on those clients which they have problem in presenting powerpoint, whiteboard etc...

I'm surprised, why it works fine on Windows 10 clients on both Surface Prof and Windows 10 Laptop?

Is it something related to version compatibility.. of different version of lycn client, SfB client on both Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 and SfB server 2015...!!

Regards,

Thursday, June 1, 2017 7:31 PM
  • Hi hms_24,

To this issue, please update Lync version to the latest, then place the Windows 8.1 in the same subnet with Windows 10 client, then check if the issue persist.

Best Regards,
    Jim Xu

Tuesday, June 6, 2017 9:58 AM
  • Hi Jim,

Did that and still same issue... :( Any further help...? Is there any particular version that both client version should match in order for this functionality to work...?

regards,

Hussain

Thursday, June 8, 2017 10:26 AM
  • Hi Hussain,

As I am concerned, if it works on Windows 10, it means there are no any configured issues. So I suggest you update Lync client to check if the issue persist.

Best Regards,
    Jim Xu

Wednesday, June 14, 2017 3:14 AM
  • Hi Jim,

I configured two VDI machines, Windows 10 and Windows 8.1 Enter 64bit to SfB 2016 client - Basic, and it works without any issues. The only thing it doesn't work externally, that proves the VDI is not an issue. But one thing is missing which is, the VDI Plugin integration is missing in 2016 Client.

Any idea if Skype for Business 2016 Client can integrate with the VDI plugin ?

Regards,

Friday, June 16, 2017 9:28 PM