none
Multi-row "Drag and Drop" works for some users, not others RRS feed

• Question

•       Background: We are working on Win7 SP1 clients, Project Prof. 2010, SP2

A couple of users have reported that they cannot move ("drag") multiple selected rows in a task sheet, only a single row at a time. Other MS Project users around them (and myself) can move multiple rows with the "Drag" feature. "Drag and Drop" is selected in the "Options/Advanced" section of both their local global template and the Enterprise Global.

To my knowledge, the multiple row selections contain no collapsed summary tasks, in case that might be an issue.

I'm suspecting some Windows setting is amiss on the offending clients, but wanted to see if anyone else had seen this behavior before in Project Prof. 2010.

Thanks!

JTC

JAckson T. Cole, PMP, MCITP

Tuesday, August 26, 2014 5:32 PM

All replies

• Jackson,

Does this happen with only certain files, or with any file the users have? If it is universal with any file, then it might be a corrupt Global. In that case, find their working Global and move it to the trash. Then have them restart Project. Note, all settings will revert to Project's default settings.

If the issue only happens with specific files, then the file itself might be corrupt. Try saving to XML and then re-open in Project. Note, custom formatting will be lost using this process.

Hope this helps.

John

Tuesday, August 26, 2014 6:01 PM
  •     Thanks for the reply, John!

Just to clarify, we are in a Project Server EPM environment. I don't see any Group or Category setting that might affect this behavior, but the people reporting the problem are in different Group/Category assignments. Ironically, the people with the greater permissions are having the issue!

FYI ...

JTC

Tuesday, August 26, 2014 7:11 PM
  • Hi Jackson,

Can you please share the exact steps to reproduce the issue.

Also, it would be great if you can help us with the version number of Project Professional 2010 in which you are testing.

Cheers!!! Happy Troubleshooting!!!

Shiva Prasad B C

Tuesday, August 26, 2014 9:08 PM
  •     Thanks for the response, Shiva!

User community is on MS Project 2010 (14.0.7011.1000) SP2, MSO (14.0.7128.1000)

To reproduce the problem, MS Project user will select multiple task rows by selecting first row, then holding MB1, and "sliding" to the last row desired. The problem manifests itself by NOT turning the cursor into the "four-arrow cross" after selection is accomplished. If only one row is selected, the ability to move that row alone is available.

Again, only a couple of users (that have called me!) are seeing it. Their officemates are not having an issue.

FYI ...

JTC

Wednesday, August 27, 2014 12:59 PM
  • Hi Jackson,

Hope you are doing well!!

If we select 4Rows for the tasks and drag then all these 4 tasks are moved and placed in the appropriate sections. Further, if we select a single row and drag to a specific row then that specific row updates with this value.

I understand that this issue is not happening with the others users. If so, then we might have to isolate the issue to see if its for a specific project, specific permissions and specific Project Professional version.

Cheers!!! Happy Troubleshooting!!!

Shiva Prasad B C

Wednesday, February 11, 2015 6:35 AM