Automatically Remove Skype for Business Contacts That Have Been Deleted from AD RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way to automatically remove contacts from a persons Skype for Business contacts list when the account is removed from AD? For example, in their favourites list if they add a contact to this list and then that contact leaves our organisation their account gets deleted and then it shows up as a malformed email address like ffjjkjf9033838383jkjfjkfdjfdhname@domian.com in the users favourites list. I know users can manually remove them, but I want to try and automate this process if possible.

Monday, December 10, 2018 2:48 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Just confirming that you mentioned that the user is homed online, so the issue only occurs to the specific user who has been deleted, righ?

If so, it will be caused by some other reasons, which would be cache info remaining from client side, also there is a mechanism based online which will keep user's info for 30 days by default even though it is deleted, and etc.

Besides, you could directly force the clean up of one SFB user in the future like I mentioned:

Run "Disable-CsUser" command in SFB mgmt shell to remove a SFB user account like the following:

Disable-CsUser -Identity "Ken Myer"

Update-CsAddressBook

After that, remove the user in AD if possible,  then restart the SFB client, there should be no deleted user showing in the contact list. 

Kind regards,

Calvin Liu

Please remember to mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful. It will assist others who has similar issue. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Calvin-Liu Friday, December 14, 2018 10:17 AM
    • Marked as answer by Blue_man2 Thursday, May 2, 2019 6:55 PM
    Friday, December 14, 2018 9:53 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on my experience, the SFB user account cannot display as a malformed email address in SFB when it is deleted in AD or disabled from SFB admin side.

Its presence will turn into "Presence unknown" directly in other user's contact list.

Kind regards,

Calvin Liu

Please remember to mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful. It will assist others who has similar issue. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, December 11, 2018 6:03 AM
  • It defiantly is displaying like I have explained in my original post, but it also has - Presence unknown to the right of the malformed SIP address.

In any case I need to know if it is possible to perform some sort of automatic clean up job on a users grouped contacts when the contact is removed from AD?

• Edited by Blue_man2 Tuesday, December 11, 2018 1:54 PM
    Tuesday, December 11, 2018 1:52 PM
  • Hi Calvin,

Is this possible or not?

Wednesday, December 12, 2018 9:41 AM
  • Hi,

In my on-premise testing environment, I ran "Disable-CsUser" command in SFB mgmt shell to remove a SFB user account as below:

And then restarted the SFB client, it turned out that the deleted "Ken Myer" no longer displays on my contact list.

If it still there in your environment, please try to clean sip profile cache from client side (%Userprofile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Lync\sip_XXXXX).

By the way, if you are in an online environment, based on my research, the contact info will stay there for 30 days by default.

Please try to use "Disable-CsUser" to remove manually via PS if it still there.

Here is a similar case for reference:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/deleted-users-still-showing-in-skype-for-business/8c81f53e-29a5-4cd4-9829-2a3531eedea5

Kind regards,

Calvin Liu

Wednesday, December 12, 2018 10:51 AM
  • We have a hybrid environment and the use in question who has raised the issue is homed online.
    Wednesday, December 12, 2018 3:14 PM
  • Hi,

Just confirming that you mentioned that the user is homed online, so the issue only occurs to the specific user who has been deleted, righ?

If so, it will be caused by some other reasons, which would be cache info remaining from client side, also there is a mechanism based online which will keep user's info for 30 days by default even though it is deleted, and etc.

Besides, you could directly force the clean up of one SFB user in the future like I mentioned:

Run "Disable-CsUser" command in SFB mgmt shell to remove a SFB user account like the following:

Update-CsAddressBook

After that, remove the user in AD if possible,  then restart the SFB client, there should be no deleted user showing in the contact list. 

Kind regards,

Calvin Liu

• Proposed as answer by Calvin-Liu Friday, December 14, 2018 10:17 AM
    • Marked as answer by Blue_man2 Thursday, May 2, 2019 6:55 PM
    Friday, December 14, 2018 9:53 AM
  • Hi,

Any update for this query?

If the reply is helpful to you, please try to mark it as an answer, it will help others who has similar issue to find answer easier. :) 

Kind regards,

Calvin Liu

Wednesday, December 19, 2018 3:25 AM