Photo Viewer Color Discrepancy RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I am having an issue using windows photo viewer where the colors of some images are different when viewing in slideshow and when viewing in normal windows. 

I searched quite a lot on the web and the only close explanation I got was another thread here on this site titled 

"Windows Photo Viewer And ICC Profiles"
    (I am unable to include links)

This is the probable explanation by someone on that page 

"(1.) Windows Photo Viewer by default honors embedded profiles in images and displays them accordingly to that profile
    if an image is untagged (no profile embedded) it will default to sRGB IEC 61966-2.1 - always ignoring the specified system default profile (my custom profile)

(2.) Windows Photo Viewer in Slideshow Mode does the exact opposite. It ignores embedded profiles and displays all images via the specified system default profile (my custom profile)"

I have used other image viewers and they all display images according to the system default color. Problem is I like the embedded color profiles in the images (on which I have this issue ) much more than the system default and viewing them on system default seems quite washed out and devoid of color.

Is there any way that the pictures are displayed in the slideshow the same way as they are displayed otherwise ?

Or to alter the color settings in windows such that all programs use the embedded color profile of the image?

Thank you.
    Wednesday, June 19, 2019 1:23 PM

All replies

• Try Internet Options/colors button/try just the Hover box,uncheck Windows colors,exit.Then R.click on desktop/Personalize/change adapter settings.Check that 32BIT is running,not 16,then Advanced settings/show all available/run at High Color,not True color,optimze the Hertz,set to highest shown,run at youre preference(s).Also run Clear Type,follow the screen.  

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/typography/

Check out the above link,Font extensions & other tools.

Thursday, June 20, 2019 12:39 AM
  • Hi,

Try the following methods and check if they are helpful: 

Method 1.
    a. Go to Control Panel then Hardware and Sound then Color Management.
    b. Select your display device.
    c. Check the box “Use my setting for this device”.
    d. Click Add.
    e. Choose “sRGB IEC61966-2.1” 
    f. Set it as default.

Method 2.
    a. Go to your desktop and right-click.
    b. Select Personalize.
    c. Select Display Settings.
    d. Click on the Advanced Settings button.
    e. Click on the Color Management Tab.
    f. Click on the Color Management button.
    g. Select your Display in the Device drop-down list.

For your reference: 

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-pictures/window-7-photo-viewer-shows-pictures-with-orange/e5d31c5e-ae84-4ebd-bbe9-9428f410560b

Best regards,

Yilia 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, June 20, 2019 8:40 AM
  • Thank you for replying, your instructions were a bit unclear, I am using windows 7, however I did complete the first setting in your post. However I only get two options for color, 32 bit True Color, and 16 bit high color,  You said to select 32 bit high color, which is not possible as 32 bit is only in high color. The issue remains.

Monday, June 24, 2019 3:00 PM
  • Hi Yilia,

Thank you for replying, I followed your steps but the issue remains, as I mentioned in my post, it probably has something to do with photo viewer using embedded color profile while opening photos and windows profile when showing it in slideshow, this is also confirmed by the fact that I used 3rd party image viewers as irfanview, faststone and they showed the same colors that photo viewer shows in slideshow. What I want is that photo viewer shows the embedded colors in slideshow too as it shows normally.

Monday, June 24, 2019 3:03 PM