none
SCCM 2012 Disaster Recovery Questions RRS feed

• Question

• 4 questions all equally important :P Please help me answer them

1. Can you now restore the DB to a server with a different name in a DR situation?
    2. What significant changes are there in DR from 2007 - 2012
    3. What is the best high availability solution?
    4. Can someone please validate these ideas
      1. Have 2 management points per primary site, use AnyCast with a second SQL server that you replicate the Database to. Would this leave the site with the ability to continue servicing clients with packages? but not the ability to record inventory sent back up etc? or would this just be a huge mess?
      2. Have a server built with all prerequisites, sql r2 sp1 cu6 etc etc then on failure, change the name, install SCCM and restore the Database

• Edited by ukmuz Thursday, April 26, 2012 5:56 PM
    Thursday, April 26, 2012 5:56 PM

Answers

1. No, you cannot restore your site database to a different server, but you can move the database to a different server after the recovery is finished.  The ability to restore to a different SQL Server/instance is on our list to investigate for a future release, but no committed plans at this point.
    2. There are many changes, so I encourage you to go read through the documentation.  Some notable changes are as follows:
      • There is no longer a separate repair wizard that you have to run after running Setup to reinstall the site.  Instead, recovery is an option integrated into Setup.
      • You now have the ability to recover data from another site in your hierarchy if you don't have a good backup (doesn't apply to a stand-alone primary environment).
      • Backup still backs up some registry keys and files (e.g. logs, inboxes), but recovery doesn't use anything other than the database.
      • Status messages for backup failure have been improved, including in-console alerts when your backup fails.
    3. That's a loaded question.  What's best depends on your specific environment, budget, and business requirements.  Again, I encourage you to go read the documentation on this.  A couple things that have changed from ConfigMgr 2007 are as follows:
      • We no longer support NLB for management points.  Instead, we allow you to simply deploy multiple MP's and we will automatically load-balance for you.
      • We now allow you to install multiple SMS Provider roles per site (must be installed on separate servers).
    4. I can’t comment on your first option, but the second option would be fine as long as the new server is configured with the same name as the old server and you install/recover with all the same settings (site code, in particular).  The recovery option in the Setup wizard will help guide you through this and will pre-populate much of the wizard if you are recovering from a ConfigMgr backup set.
    Thursday, April 26, 2012 6:21 PM
  • On the Synchronization Schedule page, in the Agent Schedule list box, select Define schedule, and then configure the New Job Schedule. Set the frequency to occur Daily, recur every 5 minute(s), and the duration to have No end date. Click Next to save the schedule, and then click Next again.

answered my own question :)

• Marked as answer by ukmuz Friday, April 27, 2012 6:19 PM
    Friday, April 27, 2012 6:19 PM

All replies

1. No, you cannot restore your site database to a different server, but you can move the database to a different server after the recovery is finished.  The ability to restore to a different SQL Server/instance is on our list to investigate for a future release, but no committed plans at this point.
    2. There are many changes, so I encourage you to go read through the documentation.  Some notable changes are as follows:
      • There is no longer a separate repair wizard that you have to run after running Setup to reinstall the site.  Instead, recovery is an option integrated into Setup.
      • You now have the ability to recover data from another site in your hierarchy if you don't have a good backup (doesn't apply to a stand-alone primary environment).
      • Backup still backs up some registry keys and files (e.g. logs, inboxes), but recovery doesn't use anything other than the database.
      • Status messages for backup failure have been improved, including in-console alerts when your backup fails.
    3. That's a loaded question.  What's best depends on your specific environment, budget, and business requirements.  Again, I encourage you to go read the documentation on this.  A couple things that have changed from ConfigMgr 2007 are as follows:
      • We no longer support NLB for management points.  Instead, we allow you to simply deploy multiple MP's and we will automatically load-balance for you.
      • We now allow you to install multiple SMS Provider roles per site (must be installed on separate servers).
    4. I can’t comment on your first option, but the second option would be fine as long as the new server is configured with the same name as the old server and you install/recover with all the same settings (site code, in particular).  The recovery option in the Setup wizard will help guide you through this and will pre-populate much of the wizard if you are recovering from a ConfigMgr backup set.
    Thursday, April 26, 2012 6:21 PM
  • Thanks for the response...

What options do I have for SQL Clustering, I looked at the Server 2008 R2 Fail over service but that needs shared disks... I dont want that.

In 2003 i seem to remember just setting up a sql cluster or was it replication with nlb.. Now im not to sure what to do.

Thursday, April 26, 2012 10:01 PM
  • Our support for SQL Server clusters for the site database hasn't really changed from ConfigMgr 2007.  As stated in the Supported Configurations documentation, you can use a SQL Server failover cluster in an active/passive cluster configuration.
    Thursday, April 26, 2012 11:12 PM
  • bmason505 kindly pointed me here:
    Make a SQL replica for the MP so that if the primary goes down, the MP still has all the answers a client would ever ask. 
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh846234.aspx 

my question is
    cool i like it but how often would it be feasible to replicate? I mean if you have 2 mp's at a site one pointing to live one pointing to the replica the replica is going to have some latency... latency isn't good during site server up-time, like minutes you could live with but hours would suck, obviously when the site server is down its not a problem. 
    Friday, April 27, 2012 6:03 PM
  • On the Synchronization Schedule page, in the Agent Schedule list box, select Define schedule, and then configure the New Job Schedule. Set the frequency to occur Daily, recur every 5 minute(s), and the duration to have No end date. Click Next to save the schedule, and then click Next again.

answered my own question :)

• Marked as answer by ukmuz Friday, April 27, 2012 6:19 PM
    Friday, April 27, 2012 6:19 PM