none
tracking, CPI, SPI RRS feed

• Question

• I am using MS PROject to track my project progress and to find the cost and variances for my project.

under view->tables->tracking I am able to track my project. one of my project requirement said, "a task actually started 2 days late" my question is do I change the "actual start" date for the task to 2 days late? I am very new to ms project so I wasn't sure how to do this.

-my next question is to do with SPI. my project SPI is 0.8, but i was asked if having a SPI at 0.8 then to SPI at 0.55 good or bad?

-my project CPI is 0.95, my question is, how can I keep CPI at a constant to derive a new project cost? is this done in ms project?

-what does TCPI of 1.03 mean?

thank you in advance for your response and if i am asking in a wrong forum please let me know where to post.

• Edited by somebody38 Friday, July 20, 2012 2:56 PM
    Friday, July 20, 2012 2:55 PM

Answers

• First make sure you have a baseline set. Then yes, always set Actual Start to the date the task actually started. Then update Actual Duration and Remaining duration. Remaining Duration of zero means task complete and Proejct will automatically set Actual Finish date for you.

For meaning of SPI etc, Project's help has full descriptions of meanings and how each field is calculated.

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book

Rod Gill Project Management

Friday, July 20, 2012 9:05 PM
  • Hi,

To your first question, if a task is starting 2 days late, yes, you have to update the actual date in Actual Start Field of the Project, this is the field that should actually be used to record Start date of a task; similarly Actual Finish could be used to mark finish date.

SPI shows the efficiency of the time utilized on the project.

SPI = BCWP / BCW

SPI > 1 - project team is very efficient in utilizing the time allocated to the project.

SPI < 1 - project team is less efficient in utilizing the time allocated to the project.

So, SPI of 0.8 is good then SPI of 0.55.

CPI the efficiency of the utilization of the resources on the project.

CPI = BCWP / ACWP

CPI > 1 - efficiency in utilizing the resources to the project is good.

CPI < 1 - efficiency in utilizing the resources to the project is not good. CPI is calculated based on different variables including % Complete and Start date etc. so you have no option to make it constant. Its a dynamic calculation.

TCPI - is efficiency at which the project team should be utilized for the remainder of the project.

TCPI = ( Total Budget - BCWP ) / ( Total Budget - ACWP )

• TCPI > 1 indicates utilization of the project team for the remainder of the project can be stringent. Delays.

• TCPI < 1 indicates utilization of the project team for the remainder of the project can be lenient. Ahead.

So, TCPI 1.03 reflects Delays.

To make sure you get all calculations right, you have allocate resources on tasks, assign cost to all resources, baseline your project, set status date and then track your project for EV.

Refer : http://office.microsoft.com/en-au/project-help/applying-earned-value-analysis-to-your-project-HA001021179.aspx

Sapna S

Monday, July 23, 2012 8:13 AM

All replies

• First make sure you have a baseline set. Then yes, always set Actual Start to the date the task actually started. Then update Actual Duration and Remaining duration. Remaining Duration of zero means task complete and Proejct will automatically set Actual Finish date for you.

For meaning of SPI etc, Project's help has full descriptions of meanings and how each field is calculated.

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book

Rod Gill Project Management

Friday, July 20, 2012 9:05 PM
  • Hi,

To your first question, if a task is starting 2 days late, yes, you have to update the actual date in Actual Start Field of the Project, this is the field that should actually be used to record Start date of a task; similarly Actual Finish could be used to mark finish date.

SPI shows the efficiency of the time utilized on the project.

SPI = BCWP / BCW

SPI > 1 - project team is very efficient in utilizing the time allocated to the project.

SPI < 1 - project team is less efficient in utilizing the time allocated to the project.

So, SPI of 0.8 is good then SPI of 0.55.

CPI the efficiency of the utilization of the resources on the project.

CPI = BCWP / ACWP

CPI > 1 - efficiency in utilizing the resources to the project is good.

CPI < 1 - efficiency in utilizing the resources to the project is not good. CPI is calculated based on different variables including % Complete and Start date etc. so you have no option to make it constant. Its a dynamic calculation.

TCPI - is efficiency at which the project team should be utilized for the remainder of the project.

TCPI = ( Total Budget - BCWP ) / ( Total Budget - ACWP )

• TCPI > 1 indicates utilization of the project team for the remainder of the project can be stringent. Delays.

• TCPI < 1 indicates utilization of the project team for the remainder of the project can be lenient. Ahead.

So, TCPI 1.03 reflects Delays.

To make sure you get all calculations right, you have allocate resources on tasks, assign cost to all resources, baseline your project, set status date and then track your project for EV.

Refer : http://office.microsoft.com/en-au/project-help/applying-earned-value-analysis-to-your-project-HA001021179.aspx

Sapna S

Monday, July 23, 2012 8:13 AM