Proclarity PAS 6.3 cannot read "some" cubes on SSAS server RRS feed

• Question

• Description of Problem:
    We have a 2 server environment with the first server running SQL Server AS 2008 named AEGEAN and a second server called KRAKATOA running Windows Server STD 2008 SP1 and PAS 6.3 with the 2222 Hotfix applied . Kerberos is enabled on both servers and we can deploy reports from Desktop Pro 6.3 to PAS and view reports in PAS as STD user for most reports and cubes. However we have some cubes and some reports that fail to open in PAS that work fine in Professional and we have been unable to find a solution.

We receive two types of errors from PAS when reports fail to open

Type 1 - “The selected page could not be opened because the cube could not be found. Please choose a different page.”

Type 2 - “Your request could not be completed. Please try the following:  Click the  back button to try again.”

In all cases, the failing reports reports run fine in both Web Pro and Desktop Pro without error. Upon investigating the event viewer for ProClarity I find the following error for the Type 1 error above:

Information. Accessing page "Topline Report" ({2B2A5B71-3004-4F9B-BC1E-B4997FC14AAC})

from book "DeCA Baking SX2519" ({4C76138F-17CF-475F-A999-174B0615F593})

Cache File Name:  (unknown)

Call Stack:

- Error-code: (0xbba), Error-number: 0x80004005

- Warning - CreateSession()

- Connection Failure in call to Session->ConnectToKSession()

- Error - RealConnect() in CPool::AllocSession()

Provider: 0x046E3B6C:{176941F9-18E8-47D6-860D-006FF2655608}

Server: 0x046C2CDC:AEGEAN

Database: 0x046C2C14:SX2519

Cube: 0x046C2C3C:[SX2519]

OLAPRoleMembershipList: 0x0222C974:

PreferredSessionID: 0x-1

- Error-code: (0x3c), Error-number: 0x80004005

- Could not establish a session for user

- Error-code: (0xe), Error-number: 0x80004005

- CreateOlapRolesForConnInfo()

- Error-code: (0x1c), Error-number: 0x80004005

- Error -- GetOlapRolesForConnInfo() call

For Error Type #2 I get the following error in the Proclarity event viewer

Error when accessing page " Report SX0200" ({BF7ED2F7-3FB6-494E-B36A-FB626AE14DCF})

from book "Black Sea Reports" ({80AB3A43-6247-4985-BE63-5F8934136588})

Cache File Name:  (unknown)

Call Stack:

- Error-code: (0xe), Error-number: 0x80004004

- CreatePageHTML_Parameterized - Connection Abort

On the SQL Server side I am getting what appear to be login errors

“Login failed for user '[our domain]\sqlservice'. Reason: Failed to open the explicitly specified database. [CLIENT: <local machine>]”

[our domain]\sqlservice is the service account we use to start the SSAS service and it has local admin rights

Any ideas or help would be appreciated and I will offer more information as needed.

Tuesday, March 2, 2010 9:17 PM

Answers

• This sounds like an issue with the AES decryption defect in Kerberos which affects Vista/Win2k8.  It was fixed in RTM of Win7 and Win2k8R2 however in Win2k8 you need to install a hotfix to resolve the issue.  What you'll want to do for this is verify the version of kerberos.dll on each system involved (middle tier server (PAS) and back-end SQL server) and then update the version of kerberos.dll if it is a lower build# and those listed in the KB article.  Please see these links to download the hotfix:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/969083

Each computer that is updated will need to be rebooted after the update.  Why the defect only affects certain cubes and not others is very strange and has something to do with a mismatch in the encrypt/decrypt keys.

Hope this helps,
    Sean

Microsoft ProClarity | This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by Sean_Flanagan Thursday, March 4, 2010 10:20 PM
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 5:59 PM

All replies

• wow, i have like the EXACT same problem.... let me know if this gets figured out!!!!!
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 11:18 PM
  • Hi,

We had a similar error a while back. With views not throwing errors in Web Standard, but rendered fine in  Web/Desktop Professional.

When I checked the BookElements table, the only thing I could find which was different for the views that resulted in errors in Web Standard was that they had a value in the LocalServerName column.

After updating the LocalServerName column to '', the views rendered fine in Web Standard. I’m not sure if this will fix your problem, I’m not even sure why it fixed our problem to be honest, but it might be worth a try.

Wednesday, March 3, 2010 1:54 PM
  • Midji, I looked at the LocalServerName in the BookElements Table for all reports and and they are all NULL.
    But it was something new to look at.
    Thanks
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 3:18 PM
  • This sounds like an issue with the AES decryption defect in Kerberos which affects Vista/Win2k8.  It was fixed in RTM of Win7 and Win2k8R2 however in Win2k8 you need to install a hotfix to resolve the issue.  What you'll want to do for this is verify the version of kerberos.dll on each system involved (middle tier server (PAS) and back-end SQL server) and then update the version of kerberos.dll if it is a lower build# and those listed in the KB article.  Please see these links to download the hotfix:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/969083

Each computer that is updated will need to be rebooted after the update.  Why the defect only affects certain cubes and not others is very strange and has something to do with a mismatch in the encrypt/decrypt keys.

Hope this helps,
    Sean

Microsoft ProClarity | This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by Sean_Flanagan Thursday, March 4, 2010 10:20 PM
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 5:59 PM
  • Sean, You are SO the man!
    This fixed the problem. We had updated Kerberos.dlls on both SSAS servers but the PAS server had an older version.

Thanks
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 9:49 PM
  • Hello,

i've the same problem but i did all updates on both server Win2008R2.

when i click on your link, the page only show me the Vista download and not the win2008r2 one...

can you please help me ???

Philippe Generet
    Wednesday, June 8, 2011 6:50 AM