IMAP (argh): Root Folder Path? RRS feed

• Question

• Having a problem where a hosting provider's Horde email system contains non-standard folders in the IMAP setup, no idea what the user created vs. what the provider has, but what is not there are the ones I am used to, Deleted Items, Sent Items, etc.  Also, everything is a subfolder of Inbox - does that make any sense?  Also, there is a Sent folder, but it is empty.  

So I have a user who is having the issues as described by this article, and I implemented the fix, which was to put "Inbox" as text into the Root Folder Path box of Advanced settings for the account in Outlook.  This article says it's a Microosft bug found in Outlook 2013, 2016, and 2019.  I can confirm this, because on Outlook 2010 for this user, we don't have any issues.  

Question is: is it REALLY a bug, or is there some further explanation on this?  Here's that article I found: 

https://kb.intermedia.net/article/20153

Tuesday, March 26, 2019 12:47 AM

Answers

• Hi viProCon,

I tried to to much research on this but didn't find any official documentation about this either.

According to Ethan's sharing in this thread which discuss a similar question, "lots of IMAP server implementations work from the "Inbox" folder as a root folder. New folders can then indeed only be created directly under the Inbox folder which can interfere with Outlook’s internal folder structure. Outlook may not always recognize the correct folders when the IMAP mailbox is based on a “root structure”. So Outlook provides this option for users to set the root folder." 

As regards to the difference between Outlook 2010 and Outlook 2013 or above, this may be related to the change of IMAP implementation in Outlook since Outlook 2013. 

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, March 27, 2019 3:13 AM

All replies

• Hi viProCon,

I tried to to much research on this but didn't find any official documentation about this either.

According to Ethan's sharing in this thread which discuss a similar question, "lots of IMAP server implementations work from the "Inbox" folder as a root folder. New folders can then indeed only be created directly under the Inbox folder which can interfere with Outlook’s internal folder structure. Outlook may not always recognize the correct folders when the IMAP mailbox is based on a “root structure”. So Outlook provides this option for users to set the root folder." 

As regards to the difference between Outlook 2010 and Outlook 2013 or above, this may be related to the change of IMAP implementation in Outlook since Outlook 2013. 

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, March 27, 2019 3:13 AM
  • Sounds like it.  I will assume this is something to do with Microsoft wanting to push more customers away from clinging to their outdated IMAP hosting provider and move to Office 365.  The grass is greener with EAS and all that.  Ohhhh well.  :) 

Wednesday, March 27, 2019 6:31 PM
  • Sounds like it.  I will assume this is something to do with Microsoft wanting to push more customers away from clinging to their outdated IMAP hosting provider and move to Office 365.  The grass is greener with EAS and all that.  Ohhhh well.  :) 

Hello viProCon,

From what I know, it is true that Outlook may not always dislay IMAP folder structure flawlessly. The relavant team is working on to improveme user's experience when using IMAP mailbox in Outlook, see the "Note" section in this link. But considering that it's involving both Outlook and the IMAP hosting provider, I am assuming this may take some time. Given this situation, personally I'd like to encourage sharing your feedback in the dedicated Outlook UserVoice forum.

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Tuesday, April 2, 2019 3:39 PM
  • Good professional answers.  Much appreciated.  I will follow up with those links.  

Thanks!  

Tuesday, April 2, 2019 3:52 PM