Windows 2008 R2 ADFS Farm Removal RRS feed

• Question

• Hello ADFS Guru's

Please could you help and advise on the removal of a Windows 2008 R2 ADFS Farm.

Our customer has asked us to remove their Windows 2008 R2 ADFS Farm. 

We did not install or configure the ADFS farm.

They have four proxy's (Workgroup WAP Servers) and four ADFS servers. (Domain members)

We have been told that applications are no longer using ADFS.

Please could you advise on the following points.

1.Best way to establish what applications were using ADFS for authentication.

2.Best way to check and ensure no traffic is going through the ADFS Farm (ie to ensure it is not being used)

3. Best way to remove any ADFS components from our customers Active Directory.

4. Best way to decommission the Proxy and ADFS servers.

5. Any other things we should look out for when removing the Windows 2008 R2 ADFS Farm from our customers Active

Directory environment.

Any advice on the above and points or any technical articles you could recommend will be greatly received.

I'll be sure to feed back any experience we have once we're through with the ADFS Farm removal.

I am currently gathering up various articles and blogs myself from the web but wanted to come here for expert advice to ensure we do a good removal and clean up job. (oh and to ensure we don't break anything in the process !!)

Many many thanks in advance,

Dan

Thursday, February 20, 2020 9:18 AM

All replies

• You open the ADFS console and see the Relying Party Trusts. Those are the applications.

If there is no or no longer Relying Party Trusts, then your farm is useless. That's it.

From a cleaning perspective, at the end you can remove the ADFS container from the container Program Data/Microsoft (you can see it in Users and Computers console when the advanced view is enabled).

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Friday, February 21, 2020 2:49 PM