Setting up SCCM 2012 R2 With Room Numbers RRS feed

• Question

• We are trying to switch from Altiris to SCCM and would like it to look simular. We are a School District and have our managed computers under a building then room structure ex. High School then under that group there are individual room numbers. Pretty much like Active Directory is setup. I set SCCM up a long time ago and thought it was possible to do this but for the life of me I can't remeber how. Any help would be great!
    Tuesday, September 30, 2014 5:52 PM

Answers

• In SCCM 2207 you could Collections and sub Collection but in 2012 the sub Collections are removed.

Instead you can create a folder structure.

Or you could create Everything in a flat structure and use the search function instead which i prefer.

• Marked as answer by benos1010 Tuesday, September 30, 2014 7:12 PM
    Tuesday, September 30, 2014 6:12 PM

All replies

• Are you looking for folders, sub-folders and collections in the lowest level of folders?

My Blog: http://www.petervanderwoude.nl/
    Follow me on twitter: pvanderwoude

Tuesday, September 30, 2014 6:08 PM
  • In SCCM 2207 you could Collections and sub Collection but in 2012 the sub Collections are removed.

Instead you can create a folder structure.

Or you could create Everything in a flat structure and use the search function instead which i prefer.

• Marked as answer by benos1010 Tuesday, September 30, 2014 7:12 PM
    Tuesday, September 30, 2014 6:12 PM
  • You could use the Location attribute in AD (lots of people do this). Configuration Manager can be configured to collect that attribute. Then you can create collections based on Room. You can have folders for collections based on building or floor if you want.

Wally Mead

Tuesday, September 30, 2014 6:27 PM
  • There's a script that's been floating around forever that will create a collection tree that mirrors your AD tree.

John Marcum | Microsoft MVP - Enterprise Client Management
    My blog: System Center Admin | Twitter: @SCCM_Marcum | Linkedin: John Marcum

Tuesday, September 30, 2014 6:40 PM
  • Where would I create a flat structure under device collections? 
    Tuesday, September 30, 2014 7:08 PM
  • Thanks for you help For some reason I didn't see the folder option the first time!

Tuesday, September 30, 2014 7:12 PM