Computer Freezes Momentarily during Gaming RRS feed

• Question

• I'm getting momentarily freezes while playing games on my computer.  The issue has not always been there and had no problems in the past.  I cannot recall any new applications or updates that might have caused the issue; however, I'm constantly upgrading the software on my machine.

When it freezes I don't see anything in Performance Management and I don't see anything in the error logs.  Performance Management looks like it freezes right along with the game.  The freezing is complete in that the video, inputs, and sound all stop and then pick back up.

The worst game currently for the issue is AOE online which is causing a lot of stuttering.  I had this game working perfectly in the past and it stutters a lot now.

My machine is a relatively powerful machine with a 7.7 index in everything (minus the 6.7 in HD).  I keep my machine tuned with System Mechanic and all my drivers are up to date.

I'm a computer professional and I can't seem to find the cause of this problem and it is making me feel like an idiot.  Please help my sanity with some clever and insightful troubleshooting steps or even better a fix!

System Specifics:

Running Windows 8 (fully patched)

NVidia GTX470 (fully patched)

Intel i7 (chipset)

8 GB of ram

256GB SSD HD as primary HD (swap file here)

3 TB 7200 Data Drive (game loads from here)

Friday, June 21, 2013 3:49 PM

Answers

• check all steps from scenario 3:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

The PSu may be the cause.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

• Marked as answer by Niki Han Friday, July 5, 2013 2:15 AM
    Friday, June 21, 2013 7:43 PM
    Answerer
  • I'm getting momentarily freezes while playing games on my computer.  The issue has not always been there and had no problems in the past.  I cannot recall any new applications or updates that might have caused the issue; however, I'm constantly upgrading the software on my machine.

When it freezes I don't see anything in Performance Management and I don't see anything in the error logs.  Performance Management looks like it freezes right along with the game.  The freezing is complete in that the video, inputs, and sound all stop and then pick back up.

The worst game currently for the issue is AOE online which is causing a lot of stuttering.  I had this game working perfectly in the past and it stutters a lot now.

My machine is a relatively powerful machine with a 7.7 index in everything (minus the 6.7 in HD).  I keep my machine tuned with System Mechanic and all my drivers are up to date.

I'm a computer professional and I can't seem to find the cause of this problem and it is making me feel like an idiot.  Please help my sanity with some clever and insightful troubleshooting steps or even better a fix!

System Specifics:

Running Windows 8 (fully patched)

NVidia GTX470 (fully patched)

Intel i7 (chipset)

8 GB of ram

256GB SSD HD as primary HD (swap file here)

3 TB 7200 Data Drive (game loads from here)

I use a Corsair TX850V2 PSU but I see you have neglected to mention your PSU.

The GTX 470 is a tax older and its possible it has endured degradation and its beginning to overheat.

Use GPU-Z in the background with the sensor tab open, if the GPU is over 90C its likely throttling to save itself

This is my rig:

Corsair Carbide 300R
    Corsair TX850V2 
    Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 
    AMD Phenom II 965 BE 
    G.Skill RipjawsX DDR3-2133 8192MB
    GTX 260 SLI 216 core
    ASUS PA238QR
    Windows 7 x64 Enterprise

Windows MVP, XP, Vista, 7 and 8. More people have climbed Everest than having 3 MVP's on the wall.

Hardcore Games, Legendary is the only Way to Play

Developer | Windows IT | Chess | Economics | Vegan Advocate | PC Reviews

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 7:25 PM

All replies

• check all steps from scenario 3:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

The PSu may be the cause.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

• Marked as answer by Niki Han Friday, July 5, 2013 2:15 AM
    Friday, June 21, 2013 7:43 PM
    Answerer
  • 1. Make sure that your power supply provide enough power.

2. Analyze event logs

Rgds

Milos

Friday, June 21, 2013 10:33 PM
  • By any change does your cpu have built in graphic acc. If so, have you enabled gpu virtualization this will enable your cpu graphic hardware or installed Lucid Virtu MVP Driver . If you did and installed the Intel graphic driver. Disable gpu virtual, uninstall the Intel hd driver. Reinstall your graphic card driver. Do not use cpu phsx

• Edited by colakid Saturday, June 22, 2013 12:57 AM added mvp driver
    Saturday, June 22, 2013 12:52 AM
  • I am not getting any of that. My games play just fine. Only problem I have with 8.1 is with PB and PB is working on it now.

I do have a problem with lucid driver while enabling virtualization. This is resolved by not using the lucid driver. No spikes in my system. 

• Edited by colakid Saturday, June 22, 2013 1:51 AM need info
    Saturday, June 22, 2013 1:44 AM
  • I will wait for a response from the post before moving to a new solution.

Saturday, June 22, 2013 10:56 AM
  • 1. Make sure that your power supply provide enough power.

2. Analyze event logs

Rgds

Milos

Your on the same lines as me. I wanted to see if he is using the extra feature in his cpu. This causes a lag spike with games. if using none Intel graphics.
    Saturday, June 22, 2013 10:58 AM