none
Get all computer names in Active Directory Computers OU RRS feed

• Question

• I am using the following script to export a txt file of computer object names from various OU's but I am unable to run it against the Computers OU.

Get-ADComputer-SearchBase"OU=Computers,dc=corp,Dc=MyDomainName,dc=com"|Select-Object-ExpandPropertyName|Out-FileC:\Temp\Computer.txt

Error:

Get-ADComputer : Directory object not found

At C:\Users\sdr-XXX\Desktop\GetOUMemberList.ps1:1 char:1

+ Get-ADComputer -SearchBase "OU=Computers,dc=corp,Dc=MyDomainName,dc=co ...

+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (:) [Get-ADComputer], ADIdentityNotFoundException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : ActiveDirectoryCmdlet:Microsoft.ActiveDirectory.Management.ADIdentityNotFoundException,Microsoft.ActiveDirectory.Management.Commands.GetADComputer

DHeinz

Wednesday, January 4, 2017 5:29 PM

Answers

• Read the error message first: "Directory object not found". This is literally correct.

The default Computers container in AD is not an OU. It has a distinguishedName that starts with CN instead of OU.

With this knowledge: What should you change in your Get-ADComputer command to make this work correctly?

-- Bill Stewart [Bill_Stewart]

Wednesday, January 4, 2017 5:52 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Hope you have import the Activedirectory module first.

Did you use the elevated PowerShell and try the script.

And found this article, maybe it will help

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/askds/2010/02/04/inventorying-computers-with-ad-powershell

Hemal

Wednesday, January 4, 2017 5:43 PM
  • Thanks for your reply, as I stated, the Powershell scripts works when I point to other OU's just not the Computers OU.

DHeinz

Wednesday, January 4, 2017 5:50 PM
  • Read the error message first: "Directory object not found". This is literally correct.

The default Computers container in AD is not an OU. It has a distinguishedName that starts with CN instead of OU.

With this knowledge: What should you change in your Get-ADComputer command to make this work correctly?

-- Bill Stewart [Bill_Stewart]

Wednesday, January 4, 2017 5:52 PM
  • Thanks Bill it worked perfectly.

DHeinz

Wednesday, January 4, 2017 5:54 PM