Windows Server Backup to external USB drives with large amount of data RRS feed

• Question

• Windows Server Backup being used to backup to a number of rotating external USB drives.

Trying to backup around 1TB to a 2TB USB drive.

Initial backup is taking around 12 hours, but subsequent backups, incrementals, seem to be taking almost double that time sometimes even longer.

Is this due to USB drives ?

Backup appears to mount a vhd disk during backup when in viewing Disk Manager.

Does Windows Server Backup have to mount the initial backed up vhd on the system in order to make changes to it.

If so is loading this from the USB drive a big ask given the size it is ?

Mike.

Thursday, April 28, 2016 11:36 AM

All replies

• hi,

take look into this link :

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc732939.aspx

MCP - MCTS - MCSA - MCITP

Thursday, April 28, 2016 12:10 PM
  • Thankyou for the link, I've read the article.

Though it simply tells me how to set it up doesn't it ? Pretty sure I have that nailed already.

Forgive me if I am incorrect, but I don't think it actually answers any of my questions does it ?

Why does my backup appear to mount a huge vhd copy of my data drive during the backup, I kinda suspect that this is what is causing the huge slowness.

ie in Disk Management ie see:

Disk 0  'Hard disk' C:\  Operating system ( 200GB )
    Disk 1  'Data' D:\ ( 1.6TB )
    Disk 2  USB drive used by Windows Backup/no drive letter ( 2TB )
    Disk 4 ' Data' no drive letter (1.6TB)   <- what's this ? it's only present during the backup ? blue icon ?

It looks like a copy of my 'Data' D:\ volume, though if I look at the USB drive the VHD for D:\ on there isn't 1.6TB, it's about half that size, about roughly equivalent to the size of the disk space used on the actual D:\ partition, so what is it exactly ? it looks like some kind of temporary mounted vhd ?

What is it and what's its purpose ?

Mike

Mike

Thursday, April 28, 2016 9:03 PM
  • I guess it shouldn't be that long in backing up. Did you use up all the disk space you mentioned in the reply? If all the space were took up, well, that's a huge project. Have you ever tried backup Server 2012 in Wbadmin? I suggest you to try it once to see where the problem exists. Windows Server Backup or the huge data? 

If the problem comes from Windows Server Backup, change one then. If it comes on the contrary, then delete or uninstall some useless applications or files. As far as I am concerned, data is much more important than applications. I would always backup my files because I know I can reinstall those programs when necessary. But you have your own choice. 

Talked too much. With my best. 

Friday, April 29, 2016 7:24 AM