none
Content Engine Keeps shutting down on FSIS RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I am configuring FSIS as a Stand-alone environment on a dev box.  The post installation went fine on the Windows 7, SQL Server 2008 SP1.  However, when I start FSIS the CDE and IMS engine work just fine but the content engine crashes a few seconds after starting.  From the logs it looks like the parser component is not started and I have checked the task list and there is not a parser.exe running.

Has anyone run into this before?  I have tried a couple of ID's using one on the domain and has Admin rights on the box and is in the admin group.  Also I have tried runing the post script that will create the FSIS Service user ID.  Bottom line is the parser is not starting and I don't know if there is a way to try to force the restart or debug any deeper.

2011-09-20 11:08:19.857Z [13] ParserServerMonitor - Parser server failed to start. Microsoft.Ceres.ContentEngine.Parsing.Component.ParserServer.SandboxException: Could not establish a connection with the parser server after 30000 ms.

at Microsoft.Ceres.ContentEngine.Parsing.Component.ParserServer.ParserServerMonitor.StartProcess(Boolean startMonitor)

2011-09-20 11:08:20.044Z [13] ComponentManager(ContentEngineNode1.ParsingComponent) - ContentEngineNode1.ParsingComponent: Microsoft.Ceres.ContentEngine.Parsing.Component.ParsingComponent[Readying] Component failure: Failed to ready component Microsoft.Ceres.ContentEngine.Parsing.Component.ParserServer.SandboxException: Could not establish a connection with the parser server after 30000 ms.

at Microsoft.Ceres.ContentEngine.Parsing.Component.ParserServer.ParserServerMonitor.StartProcess(Boolean startMonitor)

at Microsoft.Ceres.ContentEngine.Parsing.Component.ParserServer.ParserServerMonitor.Start()

at Microsoft.Ceres.ContentEngine.Parsing.Component.ParsingComponent.Readying()

at Microsoft.Ceres.CoreServices.Framework.Container.ComponentManager.EnterReady()

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 2:21 PM

Answers

• Hi,

To further debug this, I would suggest enabling debug logging on the parserserver and contentengine node, and also attaching process monitor to parserserver.exe, to try and determine why it is failing . 

This sounds like it could be a permissions issue.  The ParserServer operates in a “sandbox” mode.  This also means, that the directories it uses need to allow everyone access.  Review the ParserServer directory under your FSIS installation directory.  By default this would be C:\Program Files\FAST Search  Server 2010 for Internet Sites\ParserServer\

Then check the properties of that folder and see who has permission.  Confirm that the local ‘Users’ group on the server has Read & Execute, List Folder Contents, and Read access on the directory.  The installer should by default grant these permissions, but if this did not happen, these permissions needed to be set manually.

If that’s not it I would recommend that you open a support ticket with our Technical Support team.  One of our first steps in moving forward towards resolution would be to enable debug logging on the parserserver, and determine why it is failing, or attaching process monitor to parserserver.exe and restart the ContentEngineNode, and determine why it fails.

Thanks!

Rob Vazzana | Sr Support Escalation Engineer | US Customer Service & Support

Customer Service & Support                          Microsoft | Services

• Marked as answer by Smitty0623 Wednesday, September 21, 2011 6:03 PM
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 5:34 PM

All replies

• Hi,

To further debug this, I would suggest enabling debug logging on the parserserver and contentengine node, and also attaching process monitor to parserserver.exe, to try and determine why it is failing . 

This sounds like it could be a permissions issue.  The ParserServer operates in a “sandbox” mode.  This also means, that the directories it uses need to allow everyone access.  Review the ParserServer directory under your FSIS installation directory.  By default this would be C:\Program Files\FAST Search  Server 2010 for Internet Sites\ParserServer\

Then check the properties of that folder and see who has permission.  Confirm that the local ‘Users’ group on the server has Read & Execute, List Folder Contents, and Read access on the directory.  The installer should by default grant these permissions, but if this did not happen, these permissions needed to be set manually.

If that’s not it I would recommend that you open a support ticket with our Technical Support team.  One of our first steps in moving forward towards resolution would be to enable debug logging on the parserserver, and determine why it is failing, or attaching process monitor to parserserver.exe and restart the ContentEngineNode, and determine why it fails.

Thanks!

• Marked as answer by Smitty0623 Wednesday, September 21, 2011 6:03 PM
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 5:34 PM
  • Hey Rob,

If I ever get a chance to meet you I am buying you a beer!  I knew it was a permissions problem but didn't understand where or why.  I put the FSIS Adminstrators with Read and Execute rights on the folder and Bazinga it worked.

Thank You for helping!

Mark

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 6:04 PM
  •  

Great news Mark!  Glad to help!

Thanks!

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 6:31 PM
  • Hey Rob --

Quick question for you, I installed on another machine and this time after modifying the permissions seems to be the problem still exists.  You mentioned turning on debugging

Are you talking about in Visual Studio, not sure what you mean by enabling debug logging on the parserserver and contentengine node.

Thanks.

Mark.

Monday, October 3, 2011 10:20 PM
  • Hi Mark,

The steps to adjusting the ParserServer Settings (ContentEngineNode only) are below:

The ParserServer process used by the ContentEngine node has numerous config file settings which can be modified to better suit your needs.  For example, one can increase the level of logging or to increase the timeout setting allotted for filtering a file.

By modifying the ContentEngineNode1.ParsingComponent.xml file for the ContentEngine found at:

C:\Users\<FSIS_Service_User>\AppData\Local\FSIS\Nodes\Fsis\AdminNode1\Configuration\Overlay\Systems\Fsis\Version-XX\Components

Please note that the AdminNode number and Version-XX directory could vary depending on the system.  Generally speaking there will be numerous Version directories and it is recommended you open and modify the overlay from the most recent version. 

You can change memory, timeout, and numerous logging settings:

<MaxMemory>300</MaxMemory>

<ParsingTimeout>60000</ParsingTimeout>

<ConnectionTimeout>30000</ConnectionTimeout>

<PackageName>Microsoft.IFilterParser</PackageName>

<LoggingConfiguration>

<Level>Info</Level>

<FileName>Logs/ParserServer/ParserServer.log</FileName>

<Append>True</Append>

<MaxFileSize>1048576</MaxFileSize>

<MaxVolume>104857600</MaxVolume>

<RotateDaily>True</RotateDaily>

<RotateHour>0</RotateHour>

<RetentionPeriodInMinutes>10080</RetentionPeriodInMinutes>

</LoggingConfiguration>

Of particular interest are the MaxMemory, ParsingTimeout, ConnectionTimeout, and Level settings:

·         MaxMemory – regulates the maximum amount of memory utilized by the ParserServer process.

·         ParsingTimeout –defines the maximum time in milliseconds spent parsing a document.

·         ConnectionTimeout – defines the maximum time in milliseconds waited for the ParserServer to accept new requests.

·         Level – controls the level of logging reported in the ParserServer.log file. The valid log level settings in order of increasing verbosity is: Error, Warning, Info, Verbose, Fine, Finer, Finest.

The xml overlay file can be edited in any text editor.  In order to load the new settings both the AdminNode and ContentEngine node must be restarted.  This can be most easily accomplished by stopping and restarting the Host Controller Service which will stop and restart all nodes running on the host.

Hope that helps!

Thanks! 

Monday, October 10, 2011 8:05 PM