Vista desktop remains visible when screen saver is on RRS feed

• Question

• Hi
    Is there someone that can help
    When scrensaver is on, desktop off for a short time and comes back
    As a result I get both, desktop plus screensaver, whatever animation it is
    Vista received all latest updates
    How can I solve this pb, how can I make sure desktop remains off when screensaver comes on?
    Thanks
    Sunday, July 26, 2009 3:21 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet Forum.

What is the name of screensaver? As I know, some screensaver floats on top of the desktop, it doesn't cover the whole screen. If your screensaver is this kind of screensavers, you may see both desktop and screensaver on the screen.

Moreover, if the screen resolution is changed automatically by the video driver without user interaction in certain scenarios such as laptop lid closure with an external monitor attached, or an external monitor detached during standby. While a screensaver is actively running during this scenario, the screen saver may be distorted and appear smaller or larger than the full screen resolution. Thus you may see both desktop and screensaver.

To troubleshoot this kind of issue, I would like to propose the following suggestions.

1. Change other screensavers to see if the issue occurs.

2. Unplug wireless devices from the computer and see if the issue occurs. As I know, some wireless devices will interact the behavior of screensaver.

3. Reset the default power scheme. Please open a command prompt running as administrator, then type the following command.

cmd /c powercfg -change -standby-timeout-ac 60

cmd /c powercfg -change -monitor-timeout-ac 5

cmd /c powercfg -change -hibernate-timeout-ac 1080

AuditUser - Runsynch

cmd /c regedit /s screenSaver.reg

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop]

"ScreenSaveActive"="1"

"ScreenSaveIsSecure"="1"

Hope this helps.

Dale Qiao

Tuesday, July 28, 2009 10:59 AM