Skype for Business Client and Outlook OAB - SIP Address change RRS feed

• Question

• Hey together,

I have a short question regarding changing a sip address of a user in SfB. (We use Exchange 2016 in Addition - SfB Addressbook is set to WebSearchOnly)

In my Scenario the user has a sip address like this: user.old@lab.local
    When I active the user in SfB I change the sip address to: user.new@lab.local

Unfortunately when I search for the contact (f.e. "user") in SfB it shows me that the presence is unknown. When I know check the contact Card or search for the user in Outlook it still shows me the old sip address of the user.
    In Outlook I would say this is due to the OAB file, which need to be updated to get the new Information, right?
    But it seems like, that the SfB Client also leverage the OAB file to search for the contacts, right?
    I have to wait up to 2 days until everyone can find the user. 

It will work, when I manually enter the entire sip address of the user in the sfb search.

Today I had to change the sip address of a SfB enabled user and after that all the user, even when they add him to the contact list, were not able to see the presence anymore and must manually enter the sip address.

I think is all due to the OAB replication, right?

Thanks and greets,

Markus

Tuesday, September 12, 2017 10:01 AM

All replies

• Hi Markus,

According your description, if I understand correctly, you change the sip address of a Skype for Business enabled user, but cannot search it immediately in client.

Based on my experience, now Skype for Business client will get user’s information based on Skype for Business Address Book files, AD and outlook contact list.

And after you change the sip address of a user, I suggest you could run these commands in Management Shell on Skype for Business server.

Update-CsUserDatabase” and “Update-CsAddressBook”

Also you could refer to this following links:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/dodeitte/2014/01/06/effects-of-changing-a-users-sip-address-in-lync-server-2013/

Thank you for your understanding and patience!

Shaw Lu
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 13, 2017 3:06 AM
  • Hi Shaw Lu,

thanks for the answer.

I would like to give you an example:
    We have a user A with the following sip address in skype: usera@lab.local

We also have an additional software in our company which sometimes change the sip address into another format (I know, this is not good), because it makes use of another sip adress of the user.

Lets say the software will randomly change the sip address of user A to: usera@bal.local

On our Exchange server I can directly see, that the users sip address has changed, but I am still able to find him with presence, etc. But after Exchange recreates the OAB and the Outlook Client downloads the new OAB I only see "presence unknown". And if I open the contact card I can see the wrong IM Address. When I manually change the SIP Address of the user in Exchange and wait for up to 2 days until my outlook client downloads the new OAB I am able to find the user again with the presence.

But through the whole time I am able to find the user with the presence state, when I directly enter the complete sip address of the user in SfB.

I have read through the article but it never talk about dependencies to Exchange.

Greets,
    Markus

Thursday, September 14, 2017 8:17 PM
  • Hi Markus,

Thanks for your reply.

According your reply, you use additional software to change the sip address, do you know which attribute does this software change?

Based on my research, it uses “msRTCSIP-PrimaryUserAddress” in AD as the Skype for Business user’s sip address. And if you only change the other attributes (UPN or email), it will not auto-manually change the Skype for Business user’s sip address.

And when you search user, it will check the client policy parameter "SearchPrefixFlags", and it will search these attributes: “Primary email address, Email alias, All email addresses, Company, Display name, First name, Last name”. If you use complete address, it could search the user.

Thanks for your patience!

Shaw Lu

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Shaw_Lu Thursday, October 5, 2017 9:52 AM
    Monday, September 18, 2017 9:25 AM
  • Hi,

Is there any update or any other assistance I could provide on this issue? 

Thanks for your understanding and patience!

Shaw Lu

Wednesday, September 27, 2017 9:18 AM