Microsoft Server 2008 RRS feed

• Question

• I have just finished downloading a free developer's version of Microsoft Web Server 2008 - which has an extension format of *.iso

I am not sure how I can install this - and wonder whether or not I should have downloaded Microsoft Server 2008 first?

I have Windows 7 as an operating system.

The reason I would like the Web Server - is that I need a virtual server for the creation of some asp classic websites.  (In the 90's I used to use a personal web server with NT4 - and am only just making a comeback to website creation - and find that there are no personal web servers available  for XP, or Windows 7 - and therefore I thought I would download the Microsoft Web server on my laptop - but not sure whether this will be sufficient...

Sunday, February 13, 2011 4:38 PM

All replies

• Depends on how you want your setup. 

If you want to use Hyper-V server, that will be your host PC OS, not Windows 7.  Its CLI only and needs a remote computer to manage it.

If you want to run your 2008 Web server as a VM and keep your Windows 7 OS, you should look at MS Windows VPC, VMWare Player/Workstation, Parallels Workstation, or VirtualBox.  If you are running the R2 x64 version, you won't be able to use MS Windows VPC.

VMWare Player and VirtualBox are free.  VMW and Parallels workstation must be purchased.

Monday, February 14, 2011 4:18 AM