Federation at site level RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have two Lync Site, Site A and Site B in same topology.In Site A we have Lync 2013 Edge Pool and in Site B we have SFB Edge Pool.We are in the phase of migrating users from Lync 2013 to SFB.

For SFB Edge Pool, we are using different Access Edge, Web Conferencing and A/V FDQN. Can we enable federation from both Sites with their own edge pool ?

-DJ

Wednesday, May 25, 2016 4:21 PM

Answers

• It should be fine to use same FQDN with new external IP and change dns to point to new Edge IP.

Regarding your article, we didn't experience this issue and it was working fine, even we didn't decommission old Edge. We just set new Edge as federation route.

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you. Thank you! Off2work

• Marked as answer by JinDeep Thursday, May 26, 2016 8:23 AM
    Thursday, May 26, 2016 7:59 AM

All replies

• Hi,

only one edge pool can be set for federation. you have two options for switching your edge server.

1. Rip and replace (requires downtime, around 30 min if planned well)

When all users are migrated to new SFB pool, update all DNS so it points to new edge server. Both internal and external dns. On the 2013 edge, rename access edge, web conferencing and AV to a new name, then add these original names to your SFB Edge. Then point dns (internal and external) to the new edge pool

2. side by side

Here you have to give SFB Edge a new name for Access Edge, Web conf and AV. Your certificate will also have to be updated to contain these new names. Both internal cert and external cert. You will also need to require 3 new external IP, one for each (access,Web conf, AV).

You will also have to create new DNS for these name, both internal and external.

Personally I would go for first choice, only downside is it requires some downtime.Up side is you don't need to require new certs.

Then you have to complete post-migration tasks : : : https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj204998.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you. Thank you! Off2work

• Proposed as answer by Liinus Wednesday, May 25, 2016 7:22 PM
    Wednesday, May 25, 2016 6:00 PM
  • Thanks !

We are also planning to choose option 1 only.

We will also create an Edge Pool and associate with one of the SFB FE pool. I need to define the AccessEdge, Webconf and A/V FQDN for external access. My query is: Can I define the existing AccessEdge, Webconf and A/V FQDN on this new edge pool with New Public IP. My requirement is to have the same FQDN that is currently associated with exiting Lync 2013 edge server and I want to use the same URL but with different Public IP, so that after migrating all users to new Pool, I can change the Pointer of AccessEdge, Webconf and A/V FQDN in Public DNS to start pointing to new edge server.

I am little confused with a line mentioned in below article :

"If the legacy Edge services are configured to use the same FQDN, you must first migrate all your users from Lync Server 2010 to Lync Server 2013, then decommission the Lync Server 2010 Edge Server before enabling federation on the Lync Server 2013 Edge Server."

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj688121(v=ocs.15).aspx

Cant we enable federation from SFB EDGE Server until we decommison Lync 2013 Edge Server ?

-DJ

Thursday, May 26, 2016 7:49 AM
  • It should be fine to use same FQDN with new external IP and change dns to point to new Edge IP.

Regarding your article, we didn't experience this issue and it was working fine, even we didn't decommission old Edge. We just set new Edge as federation route.

• Marked as answer by JinDeep Thursday, May 26, 2016 8:23 AM
    Thursday, May 26, 2016 7:59 AM