Sharepoint Search using Metadata Properties RRS feed

• Question

• Is it advisable to put all of my custom searchable columns into one Metadata Property for search query?

so lets say instead of querying freetext('column1', "searchkey") AND freetext('column2', "searchkey") ..

would it be better if I create a Property Mapping called MyColumns with properties column1 and column2 then query

freetext('MyColumns', "searchkey") ??

Thanks

Need some advice from Sharepoint search gurus

:D
    Thursday, December 2, 2010 2:46 AM

Answers

• I don't think it really matters.  You might want them separate if you have a need to query those different properties separately.  You might also want them separate if you want to return any of those values in the search results.  It's up to you.
    Corey Roth blog: www.dotnetmafia.com twitter: @coreyroth
    Thursday, December 2, 2010 3:16 PM

All replies

• I don't think it really matters.  You might want them separate if you have a need to query those different properties separately.  You might also want them separate if you want to return any of those values in the search results.  It's up to you.
    Thursday, December 2, 2010 3:16 PM
  • thanks CoryRoth for the response.

how about performance? wouldnt freetext('column1', "searchkey") AND freetext('column2', "searchkey") executes query multiple times than freetext('MyColumns', "searchkey")  ??

I just wanted to know the advantage of putting up multiple columns on a single Sharepoint search property mapping.

:D
    Saturday, December 4, 2010 8:37 AM
  • Possibly, but I wouldn't spend heaps of time trying to optimize queries to search like you would with SQL.  You could always test it, but on a typical system both queries should have sub-second response times.
    Monday, December 6, 2010 3:20 PM