I need help with my laptop DVD-ROM/CD-RW combo drive RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have had my laptop for nearly 6 years now and suddenly with the installed 24x DVD-ROM/CD-RW combo drive is not working right. Here is the particulars of my laptop came with:

System:

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Version 2002, Service Pack 3, Has a Intel (R) Celeron (R) M processor 1.30GHz, 1.30 GHz, 224 MB of RAM

The laptop is an HP Pavilion ze4900 that labels itself with HP Pavilion, ze4941 US, notebook PC with  24X DVD-rom/CD-RW Combo Drive.

For some reason, my laptop now says the 24X DVD-rom/CD-RW Combo Drive file is missing and or corrupted and will not burn and or recognize a reputable blank disk(s) of (different types I have tried) when I install it in the drive.

The drive is okay. I have tried to uninstall and reinstall but this does not work. I am not sure what the brand name was of the original driver that came with this laptop and would like to try and reinstall it again to see if this corrects the problem.

I need step by step instructions and possibly assistance and would appreciate the help on what to do.

Cowboy Ranger 

Thursday, February 17, 2011 6:54 PM

All replies

• click here to go to Hp download section for your laptop. specifically, download and run the firmware driver update 
    Tunde Abagun MCP,MCSA,MCTS,MCITP en p "for the love of Computers"
    Thursday, February 17, 2011 8:07 PM
  • This did not download at all. I just happened to noticed, when I opened up "My Computer" and checked the E: Drive for this, it was listed as a DVD/CDRW Drive. However, when I opened up my device manager, the drive just shows it as a TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-R2512. What gets me, the drive came as I mentioned before installed and now I am having problems trying to burn and or copy onto reputable blank disks. What more can I do?

Thanks!

Bill J Haynie
    Saturday, February 19, 2011 7:06 AM
  • What did not download? HP website should have the driver for any device which is in your machine if it is an HP.
    Bill
    Saturday, February 19, 2011 9:08 AM
  • The laptop is an HP Pavilion ze4900 that labels itself with HP Pavilion, ze4941 US, notebook PC with  24X DVD-rom/CD-RW Combo Drive. I do not remember what thr brand name of the drive was that was installed, but when I tried the HP download for this, it would just not install after rechecking my device manager. I need help and perhaps a step by step walk through so if I am doing something wrong, then I wouldl learn. It's annoying when there is a physical drive and it is in good mechanical condition and does not work. At one point since 2005, perhaps I might had removed the software by mistake, I do not remember.

Thanks

Bill J Haynie
    Saturday, February 19, 2011 6:52 PM
  • when I opened up "My Computer" and checked the E: Drive for this, it was listed as a DVD/CDRW Drive. However, when I opened up my device manager, the drive just shows it as a TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-R2512

That`s exactly what it`s supposed to read. When clicking in "My Computer" it should only show what kind of drive it is, cd/dvd or whatever that drive is. In device Manager it shows the brand, make & model. All of this is correct, and does not have anythig to do with not being able use the drive for writing purposes.

When you change a cd/dvd rw rom etc.. drive, none of the original software that ran that drive for rewrite purposes will not work anymore, you have to purchase or download a freeware cd/dvd burner software drivers for it to work properly.  The Windows OS burner wont burn data cd, dvd, or anything correctly. 

If you have windows media player, you can burn music cd`s all day long, but to burn data eg, files, software, etc.. You need to purchase or download cd/dvd burner software. trust me, I had to replace my cd/dvd RW, and the software "roxio" that came with the computer was useless when I installed a new cd/dvd rw drive. reinstalling it did not solve it.

Manufacturers specifically choose to give free software with new computer purchases, but only for use on the drives that come with it.

If you don`t have the money to purchase one, I suggest cdburnerxp, it`s free, and it`s the best freeware on the market today.  Go to http://download.cnet.com/CDBurnerXP/3000-2646_4-10409086.html?tag=mncol;10 to download it.

Sunday, February 20, 2011 6:18 AM