none
Windows 7 fails to detect the USB Virtual Serial Port and MTP Storage Interfaces After Enabling the RNDIS Interface on the hardware device RRS feed

• Question

• I have a hardware device that supports three USB interfaces, serial, storage and RNDIS. The device works fine on most of the Windows 7 service pack 1 PC, however the serial port and storage interface are failed to be detected by the Windows 7 on two newly purchased DELL desktop PCs. When the device is plugged in, the RNDIS is immediately detected and the USB viewer can retrieve all three interface descriptors from the RNDIS. However no composite device entry is generated under the USB controllers in Device Manager. This is a composite device, normally it should show up. When I plugged the same device to a working PC, I can see the composite entry under the USB controller and three other entries under the storage, network and Ports. If I disabled the RNDIS on the device side, the two serial port and storage will show up as composite device under the USB controller and everything works fine. It looks like on these new problematic DELL PCs, the RNDIS takes over and never tries to discover the other two interfaces. I can not figure out what causes the problem and how to trouble shoot this problem. Thank you for your help. Any hint could be useful.

Jeff

Wednesday, June 14, 2017 6:49 PM

All replies

• Hi Jeff,

Try to uninstall the existing USB driver and the hardware device driver, then download the latest drivers from their manufacturer websites and check the issue again.

Bests,

Joy.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, June 15, 2017 10:06 AM