Target Audiences RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all you Sharepoint guru's, I have a question that relates to target audiences and the use of them within Links from the navigation.

We have a site structure as follows:

Site Collection
    ------->Main Sites
    --------------->Site A
    --------------->Site B  
    --------------->Site C  
    --------------->Site D  
    --------------->Site E
    --------------->Site F (Navigation Link to external content) 
    --------------->Site G (Navigation Link to external content)

Now I am able to control the access to all the sites through standard Active Directory groups links to Sharepoint Groups, but the external links (Sites F & G)  being items on the drop down menu that just open a new browser window need to be target audienced. This for some reason I can not get working.
    The problems I have encountered are as follows:

1. Can not apply Active Directory groups directly
    2. Active Directory groups linked to Sharepoint groups do not work at all
    3. Inconsistant results when applying target audiences for instance, at one point it did start to work, but the navigation link could only be seen from the Home (site collection page) as soon as you navigated anywhere else the link was not available
    4. Inconsistant results when applying target audiences to webparts as well

The Main Sites site is a publishing site, we are running MOSS 2007 SP1 with the patch for target audiences (KB 942819)

Any ideas where i've gone wrong?

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 9:26 AM

Answers

• In your naviagation, do you have 'Show Pages' and 'Show Subsites' checked?  You can confirm this by clicking Site Actions --> Site Settings --> Navigation.  They are at the top.

Now, you will want to make sure that your subsites are inheriting from the parent.  (Use Same Navigation As Parent).

This will give you the same settings all the way through, while the first setting that I mentioned above will give you a deeper navigation set.

Shannon Bray - MCT, MCPD, MCTS, MCITP
    Wednesday, August 20, 2008 3:26 PM

All replies

• Hi All, ok after a little more configuration I sort of have is working, although it's not perfect and would appreciate some input.

So in my example below my Site F and G navigate links have had target audiences applied and they appear to work, BUT only from the site collection page...... i.e if you navigate to any other page or subsite the navigation links dissappear from the drop down on the Main Site.

Any ideas?

Site Collection Navigation links for Site F & G only appear in the Main Site drop down from this page
    ------->Main Sites     
    --------------->Site A
    --------------->Site B  
    --------------->Site C  
    --------------->Site D  
    --------------->Site E
    --------------->Site F (Navigation Link to external content) 
    --------------->Site G (Navigation Link to external content)

Tele2002
    Wednesday, August 20, 2008 3:18 PM
  • In your naviagation, do you have 'Show Pages' and 'Show Subsites' checked?  You can confirm this by clicking Site Actions --> Site Settings --> Navigation.  They are at the top.

Now, you will want to make sure that your subsites are inheriting from the parent.  (Use Same Navigation As Parent).

This will give you the same settings all the way through, while the first setting that I mentioned above will give you a deeper navigation set.

Shannon Bray - MCT, MCPD, MCTS, MCITP
    Wednesday, August 20, 2008 3:26 PM
  • Hi Shannon, that didn't mate a difference :(

I'm going to try this on a virgin install rather than in our current development environment and see if it is something to do with our setup.

Gary 
    Tele2002
    Thursday, August 28, 2008 11:26 AM