How to restore sharepoint 2010 backup to a different farm RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have SharePoint 2010 farm production environment with four servers, and we want to build a UAT environment with two servers,  1- SQL Database, 2- SharePoint application and WFE. Is it possible to take production 4 servers farm backup and restore in new UAT 2 servers farm environment and how?

Thanks in advance,

Said Al Baliushi

• Moved by Cece Dong Monday, June 30, 2014 6:41 AM move to appropriate forum
    Saturday, June 28, 2014 11:14 AM

Answers

• I would prefer the Content DB move approach.

• create a new sharepoint farm( same version level as Production is)
    • configure the new services application & web application as in production
    • deploy if/any custom solution in the Production
    • any 3rdpart tool
    • now take the backup of production Content DB and restore it into Dev sql server
    • Mount the Db to respective Web Apps. 
    • any post work you did in production, perform here. 
    • Run full search crawl if you want.

Please remember to mark your question as answered &Vote helpful,if this solves/helps your problem. ****************************************************************************************** Thanks -WS MCITP(SharePoint 2010, 2013) Blog: http://wscheema.com/blog

• Marked as answer by Victoria Xia Sunday, July 6, 2014 8:53 AM
    Tuesday, July 1, 2014 6:30 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your post.

Even though TFS can integrate SharePoint, they are two separate products. I have moved your case to SharePoint forum for better response. Thanks for your understanding.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, June 30, 2014 6:43 AM
  • I think Attach content database (take sql content db backup from production and restore in UAT, attach content DB to respective web application) would be best option rather than full farm backup. 

if you like to do full farm backup the try this, but you may face some challenges while restoring service applications. 

1. Install SharePoint bits on UAT servers (please make sure that sharepoint version and build version should match to production environment)

2. Run the configuration wizard to create a new configuration database and Central Administration site

3. Restore the full farm backup and specify the new locations for all databases, services, web apps, etc.

Thanks, ShankarSingh

• Edited by Nik SS Tuesday, July 1, 2014 2:03 PM
    Tuesday, July 1, 2014 1:47 PM
  • I would prefer the Content DB move approach.

• create a new sharepoint farm( same version level as Production is)
    • configure the new services application & web application as in production
    • deploy if/any custom solution in the Production
    • any 3rdpart tool
    • now take the backup of production Content DB and restore it into Dev sql server
    • Mount the Db to respective Web Apps. 
    • any post work you did in production, perform here. 
    • Run full search crawl if you want.

Please remember to mark your question as answered &Vote helpful,if this solves/helps your problem. ****************************************************************************************** Thanks -WS MCITP(SharePoint 2010, 2013) Blog: http://wscheema.com/blog

• Marked as answer by Victoria Xia Sunday, July 6, 2014 8:53 AM
    Tuesday, July 1, 2014 6:30 PM
  • Hi,

I have taken farm back and restore it in new UAT environment, while access to the main site getting the below error: 

Error  
    An unexpected error has occurred. 

Troubleshoot issues with Microsoft SharePoint Foundation. 

Correlation ID: 866476f3-23dd-4e1e-97af-bffc62cc2d57 

Date and Time: 7/15/2014 11:26:35 AM 

When i checked in log i got below error

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)     at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj)     at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Connect(ServerInfo serverInfo, SqlInternalConnectionTds connHandler, Boolean ignoreSniOpenTimeout, Int64 timerExpire, Boolean encrypt, Boolean trustServerCert, Boolean integratedSecu... 

Thanks in advance

Said Al Balushi

Tuesday, July 15, 2014 7:40 AM
  • Hi Said,

We built a tool that can copy production environment to the test environment using local desktop without the need to do anything on the server. You can also use this tool to do such a copy periodically taking updates in site structures (like new fields or content types) and data to the test environment. Feel free to try this SharePoint Migration tool: http://www.metavistech.com .

Good luck with your project,

Mark 

Tuesday, July 15, 2014 5:59 PM
  • Please check if UAT service account has sufficient permission on SQL server, as you have migrated these database from Production which might have replaced with UAT service account in content DB.

All service account should have minimum db_Owner permission

If my contribution helps you, please click Mark As Answer on that post and Vote as Helpful Thanks, ShankarSingh(MCP)

• Edited by Nik SS Thursday, July 17, 2014 4:22 PM
    Thursday, July 17, 2014 4:22 PM
  • I have checked it is having permission.

actually i am really confused some time i am able to access and some time i am getting error.

Thanks,

Said 

Sunday, July 20, 2014 9:31 AM