none
Does Project Online require that SharePoint Online be enabled in our Office 365 tenant? RRS feed

• Question

• We recently acquired Project Online licenses for users in our Office 365 tenant and are attempting to get acquainted with its functionality. When a user who has the Project Online license assigned clicks the "Projects" link in the O365 Portal, the portal responds with "You need permissions to access this site" along with a prompt to "Type your message here".

Given that, I have a couple of questions:

1) We have effectively disabled SharePoint Online service in our tenant aside from what's required to allow users access to OneDrive for Business. In order to use Project Online, are there required settings in SharePoint Online that have to be enabled?

2) Is there a "Getting Started" guide or doc for administering Project Online?  For example, I'd like to know if there are options or settings that we should be aware of before making this service available to potentially thousands of users in our O365 tenant.

Thanks.
    Monday, May 18, 2015 10:24 PM

All replies

• Hi there LB20,

In answer to 1: SharePoint Online is the base platform for Project Online - the "Project Center" and the collaboration Project Site that accompanies each Project relies on it.  When you buy Project Online the full package comes with these licenses to enable the product:

Although there are lower variants of licencing required for users with less involvement (e.g. "Project Lite") I believe they they will all need a SharePoint Online seat from one source or another.

The error you are getting about permission means that the user will also need to be put into one of the 7 SharePoint groups at the PWA root site.  (This will establish their access level to Project Online)

There is a video tour here of the offer and IPMO offers a free partner led trial to provide you with direct assistance for your particular scenario.

Regards,

James

James Boman BSc. MCP:EAD -

Monday, May 18, 2015 11:37 PM