none
Automatic Tape Removal RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, we just migrated from Backup Exec to DPM 2010 and it's really great.

Only one thing that I am missing...

In Backup Exec I could create an automatic job that move tapes ready for offsite to the I/O stations and unlock the library.

That way the people who handle tapes, could open the library the following day and remove the tapes.

Is this possible in DPM, maybe with powershell?

So... tapes marked for offsite should automatically be moved to I/O stations...

Tuesday, August 31, 2010 7:32 PM

Answers

• Hi, try this

$libs = Get-DPMLibrary (&hostname)
    foreach ($l in $libs) {
       $tapes = Get-Tape $l | ?{$_.isoffsiteready -eq $true}
       foreach foreach ($t in $tapes) {
          Unlock-DPMLibraryDoor -DPMLibrary $l
          Remove-Tape -DPMLibrary $l -Tape $t
       }
    }

\R2 This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Monday, October 18, 2010 12:33 PM
  • Ok, thanks.

Quantum gave this two mechanics the names picker and mailslot. At the webgui of the quantum superloader3 you can easily put a tape to picker or mailslot where you can put it out of the box. I thought a I/E port could be a roboter arm which gets rid of the tape. But it seems that we are talking about the same. I think it should be a driver problem, also.

I will talk to Quantum if there is a driver problem or something else.

Thanks,

André

Tuesday, November 9, 2010 3:28 PM

All replies

• I would second that request. It would be very helpful.
    Wednesday, September 1, 2010 2:29 PM
  • Hi, try this

$libs = Get-DPMLibrary (&hostname)
    foreach ($l in $libs) {
       $tapes = Get-Tape $l | ?{$_.isoffsiteready -eq $true}
       foreach foreach ($t in $tapes) {
          Unlock-DPMLibraryDoor -DPMLibrary $l
          Remove-Tape -DPMLibrary $l -Tape $t
       }
    }

Monday, October 18, 2010 12:33 PM
  • Hi Ruud,

thanks for your script.

I figured out that there is a mistake in line 4. There are two "foreach" an the script won't work with that. After removing the first "foreach" it seems to be working. Unfortunately it says that my Quantum Superloader 3 does not have a I/O Station (ID:24025). But it has a drive, picker and a mail slot.

Is there a way to get the tapes out?

Cheers,

André

Tuesday, November 9, 2010 7:47 AM
  • Hi Andre,

sorry no, if there is no I/E port then the DPM cmdlets cannot help.

It may still be possible using product support utility MCT.EXE but that is a guess on my side.

See http://cid-b03306b628ab886f.office.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/DPMeraseTape.zip

if you can erase a tape with that then the "move" works.

Tuesday, November 9, 2010 12:33 PM
  • Hi Ruud,

in order to understand the I/E port. What is this special I/E Port? How does it look like and what is it doing?

Thanks!

André

Tuesday, November 9, 2010 2:44 PM
  • Andre ID 24025 says you do not have an I/E port, so forget it.

This is addressable/controllable mechanics to move a tape out of a library so that it can physically be taken out or inserted.
    I'm not sure what you mean with "picker" and "mailslot" but sounds similar to what I/E port supposed to mean.

Anyway, according DPM (read Windows) it does not exist.
    If this is wrong, it is almost certainly driver issue.
    Sorry but have little ideas to help further on this one.

Tuesday, November 9, 2010 3:21 PM
  • Ok, thanks.

Quantum gave this two mechanics the names picker and mailslot. At the webgui of the quantum superloader3 you can easily put a tape to picker or mailslot where you can put it out of the box. I thought a I/E port could be a roboter arm which gets rid of the tape. But it seems that we are talking about the same. I think it should be a driver problem, also.

I will talk to Quantum if there is a driver problem or something else.

Thanks,

André

Tuesday, November 9, 2010 3:28 PM
  • Hi André

Did you get anywhere with enabling the I/E port on your quantum superloader3? I have one too and would love to be able to remove tapes from within the DPM interface.

Thanks

Chris

Thursday, January 27, 2011 11:12 AM
  • Hi Chris,

unfortunately no. I called Quantum-Support and they said that DPM is not able to talk to the library right. And Microsoft says it is a driver issue of the library manufacturer...

In my opinion tape support of dpm is very poor when you are using small-budget tape libraries like the superloader. Although superloader3 is a great product.

Cheers,

André

Thursday, January 27, 2011 11:25 AM