Migrating Client from SCCM 2007 to SCCM 2012 SP1 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

What is the best way to migrate clients from 2007 to 2012 SP1.?

What About the  boundaries, if i reassign or migrate  the existing boundaries in Config Mgr 2012 , won't be they overlap with Config mgr 2007? if Client Push installation is enabled , which site would take take the precedence? 

Thx

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 7:36 PM

Answers

• Place you "pilot" systems in an AD group and use group discovery on just that group.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com

• Marked as answer by makenx Saturday, August 10, 2013 3:29 PM
    Monday, July 29, 2013 2:37 PM

All replies

• There are several ways depending on your exact requiements. Client push, software distribution etc ...
    Overlapping boundaries for content are supported and will not cause any issues. Overlapping site assignment boundaries are not.
    "Precedence" does not exist in that case. Each site will push the client (if automatic push is enabled) to newly discovered resource without a client. So it's a matter of timing.

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 7:38 AM
  • OK , 1.)  Suppose the client is assigned to a SCCM 2012 site, what if client change the ip address? And it falls within SCCM 2007 boundary group?

2.) What about the certificates, do we require new certificates for Client Up gradation?

Thursday, July 25, 2013 4:28 AM
  • #1: that's not a problem (if there are no overlapping boundaries for site assignment)
    #2: most likely not, depending on your setup.

Thursday, July 25, 2013 7:02 AM
  • 1. Configure the boundaries to maintain the subnet/AD site/etc. Do not overlap site assignment boundaries as stated in post Torsten!

2. Configure your System Discovery in the SCCM 2012 site to find the workstations/servers where the new SCCM 2012 client must be installed.

3. Clients will be found in Devices list. The column "Client" will display the value "No" on all clients taht do not contain the SCCM 2012 client.

4. Configure a Client Push account that has sufficient permissions to install the client on remote computers.

5. Right click the Server/workstation in Devices and click on "Install Client".

Clients will get the new SCCM 2012 client and are connected to the nwe SCCM 2012 site. Because the old SCCM 2007 will be uninstalled, they are not connected to the SCCM 2007 site so there is no overlap.

I recommend to test this procedure on a couple of test workstations to prove if it is OK for you.

Greetz,

Dave

Thursday, July 25, 2013 11:48 AM
  •  Ok, so you mean to say, if i want to assign one ip(setting boundary) to sccm 2012 that should be removed from boundaries from sccm 2007 to avoid overlapping?
    Thursday, July 25, 2013 5:12 PM
  • Configuring the boundaries so they don't overlap only matters if you are using them for site assignment within the same CM environment.  For content management, they can overlap.  You don't have to worry about overlap at all when dealing with two completely separate environments like 2007 and 2012.  The version of the client will determine where it goes.

Shane Curtis

Thursday, July 25, 2013 5:25 PM
  • Also remember that boundaries for site assignment is deceptive because they are really only for *auto* site assignment which only happens during initial client installation (and you really shouldn't rely on auto-site assignment anyway -- client push does not). Also, boundaries used exclusively for content location are *not* published to AD in 2012 so make sure you don't use your boundaries for both site assignment and content location in 2012. If you have a single site, you really only need one site assignment boundary covering 0.0.0.0-255.255.255.254

Thursday, July 25, 2013 5:41 PM
  • Hmm, after some further study and reflection I'm beginning to doubt my last statement (about not having to worry about overlapping between 2007 and 2012 environments).  I've read some things that indicate that it could be a factor.  2012 agents will never try to report in to a 2007 environment but 2007 agents can get assigned to a 2012 site and then 2012 will try to upgrade them (if you have automatic client push turned on).  Best bet is to do as Jason says and use manual site assignment.

Shane Curtis

Thursday, July 25, 2013 6:01 PM
  • Okay, after some further study and reflection I take back what I said about overlapping boundaries between ConfigMgr 2007 and 2012 not being a problem.  After spending some time on these two topics:

Client Site Assignment for ConfigMgr 2007:

About Client Site Assignment in Configuration Manager

Pasted from <http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb681005.aspx>

Client Site Assignment for ConfigMgr 2012:

How to Assign Clients to a Site in Configuration Manager

Pasted from <http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg682060.aspx>

(both excellent reads) it seems clear now that if you use automatic site assigment in both 2007 and 2012 you will have some overlapping issues.  Not with 2012 clients but with 2007 clients.  If 2012 clients find boundary groups from 2012 published in AD and also find published boundaries from 2007, they will always choose the 2012 boundary groups.  On the other hand, if 2007 clients find both in AD they may choose one or the other, not sure how the agent works it out.  So the 2007 client could get assigned to the 2012 site.  It will not be managed until it is upgraded to 2012 though so if automatic client upgrade is not on it will just stay in an unmanaged state.  If I were doing an upgrade I would use automatic site assignment only for 2007 until all clients are upgraded to 2012, then I would switch on automatic assignment for 2012.  That is, if you're really hooked on automatic site assignment.  Manual assignment isn't that big of a hassle really.

Shane Curtis

• Edited by Shane_Curtis Friday, July 26, 2013 4:20 AM grammar!
    Friday, July 26, 2013 4:18 AM
  • So what approach sould we follow for Client upgradation?, manaul assignement is not possible in big envoirement.
    Let me put in this way, correct me if  i m wrong?

1.) Suppose in first phase i want to upgrade cilent on 20 machines and i reserved Ip address for those 20 machines

2.) I create a IP Address range boundary for those 20 machines  in CM 2012 and configure the boundary group for automatic site assignement

3.) And i make the necessary changes in CM 07 ( remove those IP address Range )

4.) Enabled Automotic site Client Push for doscovered computers

Still the overlapping would be an issue??  Plz suggest

• Edited by makenx Friday, July 26, 2013 12:29 PM More explanation
    Friday, July 26, 2013 12:22 PM
  • Why using auto client push? (That would require boundary groups for site assignment).
    How many primary sites have you got?
    Basically you don't have to change anything if you do a manual push using the option "Install the client from a specified site".

Friday, July 26, 2013 12:56 PM
  • Why would manual assignment be difficult in a large environment?  I think what you mean is manual installation would be difficult (which is true).  Client upgrade is simply using any of the client installation options available and just about all of them (maybe all, can't remember) have an option to manually specify the site (SMSSITECODE property).  For example, if you want to use client push (not automatic client push, just client push) you can go to Administration, Site Configuration, Sites and then on the Home tab at the top in the Settings area, choose Client Installation Settings, Client Push Installation Properties.  Set the site code on the third tab, installation properties.

I can't see anything technically wrong with your approach, as long as you make sure the boundaries don't overlap, but it's not the way I would do it.

Here is the Technet article that goes over all the different client installation options in detail:

How to Install Clients on Windows-Based Computers in Configuration Manager

Pasted from <http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg712298.aspx>

Shane Curtis

• Edited by Shane_Curtis Friday, July 26, 2013 1:24 PM forgot to add link
    Friday, July 26, 2013 1:22 PM
  • Hello all,

This is an interesting thread. Can someone tell me what will happen in the following scenario?

1. There is an AD domain named Contoso.com. Contoso.com has an SCCM 2007 site with site code AAA. Client A has ConfigMgr 2007 client installed on it and is reporting fine to SCCM 2007.On Contoso.com, an SCCM 2012 site comes online, lets give it code BBB. BBB's discovery methods are configured for AD System Discovery and Client Automatic Installation is not configured. So when the AD System Discovery runs, Client A will be discovered by BBB, and will be displayed in the ConfigMgr console with client = 'NO', correct?

2. Same scenario as above, but in this case lets say Client Automatic Installation is enabled on BBB. So when Client A is discovered, will ConfigMgr 2007 client be uninstalled from it and ConfigMgr 2012 client get installed on it?

Thanks.

Friday, July 26, 2013 10:40 PM
  • 1. Correct

2. Kind of. BBB will push the 2012 client agent which in turn will uninstall the 2007 client agent.

Saturday, July 27, 2013 12:08 AM
  • Thanks for the response, Jason. That helped a lot 

1. Another scenario: Now suppose for this example SCCM 2007 has clients A-Z reporting to it. Clients K to S are in an AD security group X. And SCCM 2012 site comes online. Client A-Z all fall under SCCM 2012's boundary. This boundary is added to a boundary group configured for content location. SCCM 2012's AD Security Group Discovery is configured to discover all the machines in security group X. So only client K to S will show up in SCCM 2012 console, or all the clients A to Z will show up?

2. Same scenario as above. If only clients K to S show up in SCCM 2012 console, and I turn on automatic client push, clients K to S will uninstall SCCM 2007 client and install SCCM 2012 client. Will the clients automatically find their site and assign the site code? I assume they will do this by looking up the information published in AD. Also can I create another boundary for clients K to S in SCCM 2012 and add it to a boundary group that is configured for Automatically Site Assignment? I believe this will also work.

Thanks for your replies.

• Edited by sneh555 Monday, July 29, 2013 4:05 AM
    Monday, July 29, 2013 4:02 AM
  • Don't confuse boundaries with discovery -- they are completely unrelated processes.

For auto-client push to happen, a client must be discovered *and* it must be within a boundary that is within a site assignment boundary group.

So for 1, clients A-Z aren't discovered so nothing will happen to them on the 2012 side.

For 2, yes, the site will auto-push the client agent if and only if those clients are within a site assignment boundary group. No, auto-site assignment will not happen because client push, by default, is configured to specifically assign a site.

Yes, you can use boundaries within both types of boundary groups. As mentioned above, it makes life easier/simpler if you have separate boundary groups for these two purposes.

Monday, July 29, 2013 1:26 PM
  • Thanks, Jason. So for me to migrate clients from SCCM 2007 to SCCM 2012, I just have to make sure that they are within a site assignment boundary group, correct? It doesnt matter if all the clients are discovered by SCCM 2012 -- the SCCM 2012 clients will only be installed on the computers that fall within a site assignment boundary group, correct?
    Monday, July 29, 2013 1:42 PM
  • So for me to migrate clients from SCCM 2007 to SCCM 2012, I just have to make sure that they are within a site assignment boundary group, correct?

Only if you want to use *automatic* client push. Manual push does also work without any boundaries defined.

Monday, July 29, 2013 1:52 PM
  • Thanks Torsten. I am going to perform a SCCM 2007 to SCCM 2012 migration in a week or so. Here is what I am going to do. Can you please tell me if it will work or not? SCCM 2007 currently manages 500 clients. I want to migrate 5 computers to SCCM 2012 first, then 20 then 100 and so on.

1. Turn on AD Forest discovery in SCCM 2012 so that it discovers all 500 clients.

2. Create a boundary for all 500 computers. Most likely IP Range boundary.

3. Create a boundary for 5 computers that I want to migrate from SCCM 2007 to SCCM 2012. Add this boundary to an auto site assignment boundary group in SCCM 2012. (I know it will be easier to just right click and do client push at this stage, but this auto installation will be helpful when I am migrating 100s of clients later on)

If I understand correctly, these steps will ensure that only 5 computers are managed by SCCM 2012 that are within auto site assignment boundary group. Please let me know if you give it a green flag or a red flag.

Thanks.

• Edited by sneh555 Monday, July 29, 2013 2:17 PM
    Monday, July 29, 2013 2:16 PM
  • 1. Forest discovery does not discover clients. Why discover everything right away though? You should control your roll-out based on discovery, not boundaries.

2. Forest discovery can create IP range boundaries for you if your subnets are setup in AD.

3. Sure, but you can use manual push on a collection -- you don't have to do each resource one at a time. I've seen too many folks turn on auto-push and have it go to all of their systems because they didn't know what was going on. I would leave auto-push off for now and just do the manual install.

You will also need content location boundaries configured so that the install process can locate the client installation files.

Monday, July 29, 2013 2:22 PM
  • Okay. What discovery method do you recommend to control the roll-out? Our AD OUs are not structured to facilitate this phased migration, so it will be difficult to use AD System Discovery. How about AD Group Discovery? Will it work if i create a security group and all the computers that I want to migrate to that group?
    • Edited by sneh555 Monday, July 29, 2013 2:31 PM
    Monday, July 29, 2013 2:30 PM
  • Place you "pilot" systems in an AD group and use group discovery on just that group.

• Marked as answer by makenx Saturday, August 10, 2013 3:29 PM
    Monday, July 29, 2013 2:37 PM
  • Got it. But AD Group discovery will work or not?

Monday, July 29, 2013 2:46 PM
  • I must apologize, Jason, I totally misread your last reply. I though you were suggesting that I create a new OU, place pilot systems under that OU and use AD System discovery to discover systems under that OU (which I believe will also work. Can you correct me if I am wrong here?). Thanks for confirming that AD Group discovery will work as well.

I apologize again and thank you for your reply.

Monday, July 29, 2013 4:03 PM
  • Both will work ... either placing those systems in a separate OU or group. Both can be used to limit the scope of discovery.

Monday, July 29, 2013 4:27 PM
  • This thread is a little out of date but I wanted to mention the way that has worked best for me.

Only enable system, group and user discovery.  I do not do forest discovery as I don't want all the AD sites and subnets brought in as they are usually a mess.  Getting them updated can be troublesome.  c:\windows\debug\netlogon.log tells you which subnets are missing from sites and services. 

Create ip range boundaries.  Downside is if a new ip range is used it needs to be added to the subnet ranges in ConfigMgr and assigned to a boundary group.  This can be troublesome for quickly changing environments.

Assign ip ranges to boundary groups for content location (this means a DP) only!  I do not configure automatic site assignment on these boundary groups.  After the migration I might create seperate boundary group for automatic site assignment.

Migrate all required objects from 2007 to 2012.  I start with collections but I find no particular order more beneficial over others.

To do a controlled client upgrade i just right-click on computers or collections and choose "install client".  For me, creating small collections seem to work well like per department or per physical site.  sometimes i even break them up by OS for more granularity.  This is widely variable depending on the environment.  I find these collections very beneficial for use after the migration too.  Most of these collections are already created in 2007 and migrated over though.

Once the bulk of the clients are upgraded I optionally:

1.  Create a boundary group per ConfigMgr Site and assign all relevant ip ranges for that ConfigMgr Site.  I do not mix automatic site assignment and content location (DPs) in the same boundary group.

2.  Turn on Automatic Client Push (be sure to have a client push account defined and SMSSITECODE set to the proper Site Code.  I like to put the client push account in a security group and deploy the group to the local admin group on machines via group policy.

At this point all remaining machines that appear on the network will potentially get the client (if they are joined to the domain and have the client push account in local admins).  If you are using OSD for client deployment then all your deployments should already have the client built into the image.  There always seems to be a few stray machines that get on the domain that Automatic Client Push picks up.

Hope this helps.

I would be interested to hear any contradictions or recommendations to this method.

• Edited by IT-NOOB Friday, October 11, 2013 5:55 PM
    Friday, October 11, 2013 5:43 PM