Client Confusion RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

One of my biggest struggles with moving to SCCM 2012 from a product like Altiris was the understanding of the client installation and the life-cycle of a client.  I'm used to a client being installed on a machine and then it remains in the console as installed until the client was removed or the object was removed from the console.  It seems like each week I have a different client count in the console.  I was told by an engineer to disable the Heartbeat Discovery in order to prevent clients from being removed by the Maintenance Tasks on the weekend so I did that and after the maintenance task that weekend I have 700 machines that had the client showing before now without the client.  I re-anabled Heartbeat Discovery and some of them came back with an activated client but I still don't feel like I have a predictable situation here.  I don't want to worry during the start of each week that there are machines now showing with no client or any other weird stuff showing up.  

Does anybody have a good explanation of these processes?  Or know of a good article that goes through all of this in depth?

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 5:06 PM

All replies

• If you want to know more about heartbeat discovery, see http://blog.configmgrftw.com/?p=139 . This blog is for CofigMgr 2007 but I don't think there is much change in the CM12 process as well.

Anoop C Nair - @anoopmannur :: MY Site:  www.AnoopCNair.com :: FaceBook:  ConfigMgr(SCCM) Page :: Linkedin:  Linkedin<

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 5:24 PM
  • Disabling heartbeat does not prevent clients from being removed from the database. It's the opposite! Leave heartbeat enabled.
    It's all a matter of the configuration of the "delete ..." maintenance tasks and discovery methods.

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 6:35 PM
  • Thanks, Torsten.  That's what I thought.

As for those 'delete' maintenance tasks, is it recommended to disable those entirely?  During our Summer months we may have machines that are not turned on for 60-90 days so I don't want them getting purged at some point.  I basically don't want a client to go away unless I physically uninstall the client or delete the object from AD.

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 6:52 PM
  • Thanks, Torsten.  That's what I thought.

As for those 'delete' maintenance tasks, is it recommended to disable those entirely?  During our Summer months we may have machines that are not turned on for 60-90 days so I don't want them getting purged at some point.  I basically don't want a client to go away unless I physically uninstall the client or delete the object from AD.

No need to turn things off, adjust them to tolerate the conditions required (90+ days for deletions for example)

Rob Marshall | UK | My Blog | WMUG

Sunday, December 9, 2012 3:35 PM