question about the windows 7 taskbar RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I like my Windows 7. It is very easy and nice.
    I have used it and created a pinned program on the task bar.
    The jump list is very helpful to my work.

My question is: how can I backup and restore this setting on the taskbar.
    I can back up and restore my IE favorites from my laptop to my desktop,
    but I haven't found a way to do the same thing for the taskbar.

Help, please.

Thursday, December 31, 2009 7:41 PM

Answers

Help, please.

Hi

If you want to back up the list of 'Pinned' shortcuts in a particular programs Jump List, this is not documented anywhere, but it is possible although it is a complex procedure.

A Jump List for a program that is pinned to the Taskbar has 3 separate sections.
    1. The items that the user has 'pinned' appear at the top of the Jump List.
    2. The Recent Items appear just below the pinned items.
    3. The default options appear at the bottom of the Jump List.

Here is how to back up the 'pinned items' in the Jump List.

The folder that contains these files is super hidden and the following is the only way to open this folder.

Press the WINKEY + R keys to bring up the Run dialog box. You can also simply type  run  in the Start/Search box and press ENTER.

In the Open: box, type the following path.

%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\AutomaticDestinations

Press OK.

The folder will open in Windows Explorer.

Now comes the fun part. You must determine which file contains the pinned list for the particular program you want to back up. All of the file names use the following format.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.automaticDestinations-ms (Where xxxxxxxxxx is a long alphanumeric number)

Open Notepad. Use the left mouse button and drag one of the files and drop it on the open Notepad window.
    Most of the text in these files is raw code and not human readable text. However, you will see some of the text is readable words.

The readable text will be the same words that are the name of the pinned items on a Jump List for one of the programs. You must compare the text in the file with the text in a jump list pinned item to determine which program that file is associated with. You can use the Edit/Find feature in Notepad to search for particular words.

Once you have found the file that is associated with a particular program that is pinned to the Taskbar you can simply copy/paste that file to a different folder for back up. If you ever lose the pinned items for that program, you can simply copy/paste that file back to the AutomaticDestinations folder. You may need to overwrite a file with the same name that has been subsequently create in that folder.

Notes:

1. The file for each program that is pinned to the Taskbar will always retain the same, exact name. In fact, I have found that these files have the same name even on different computers with different versions of Windows 7 installed. Here is a list of file names that are from some common programs that you can use to help locate these files.

28c8b86deab549a1.automaticDestinations-ms  = Internet Explorer 8 Pinned Jump List

adecfb853d77462a.automaticDestinations-ms  = Word 2007 Pinned Jump List

a8c43ef36da523b1.automaticDestinations-ms =  Word 2003 Pinned Jump List

1b4dd67f29cb1962.automaticDestinations-ms = Windows Explorer Jump List

2. Do Not attempt to change the name or permissions on the AutomaticDestinations folder. Doing so will completely destroy the Jump List functionality and possibly render your system vulnerable to a malicious infection.

3. These files do not affect the Default Options or the Recent Items in the Jump List.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP 

• Proposed as answer by Ronnie VernonMVP Monday, January 4, 2010 11:01 AM
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Tuesday, January 5, 2010 5:23 AM
    Monday, January 4, 2010 10:49 AM

All replies

• There's no way to specifically export the configuration of the taskbar.  According to the Microsoft blog, the reason they didn't include this was they were afraid a program would take advantage of the import ability and start forcing itself into your taskbar (adding its icon by itself).

Remember back in the day, when you installed AOL, it would automatically put an icon on your Desktop, taskbar QuickLaunch, taskbar tray, Start Menu, All Programs Menu, and anywhere else it could?  This is what they are trying to block.

If this was helpful, please vote. If it solves the issue, please click Propose as Answer. Thanks!
    Friday, January 1, 2010 11:25 PM
  • You can maintain your own on Right side of Task bar. Put shortcuts you want into a (MyToolbar) folder and add Pointer to this by rightclick Taskbar->Toolbars->NewToolbar. You can drag shortcuts into it, delete them as you wish.

I keep all dynamic data, that lives accross OS installations, that I do not want to lose, in a Folder (KeepIt) including contacts, faves, pictures, music, toolbars, notes, downloads, what not.

Having, for instance, Snow Leopard, Vista, Windows 7 32 & Windows 7 64, it makes sense to do this. Also it is a good source for backup to external say every two weeks rather than doing "Sync" or "time machine" backups. Do complete Image Backups maybe every 3 months

Saturday, January 2, 2010 1:52 PM

Help, please.

Hi

If you want to back up the list of 'Pinned' shortcuts in a particular programs Jump List, this is not documented anywhere, but it is possible although it is a complex procedure.

A Jump List for a program that is pinned to the Taskbar has 3 separate sections.
    1. The items that the user has 'pinned' appear at the top of the Jump List.
    2. The Recent Items appear just below the pinned items.
    3. The default options appear at the bottom of the Jump List.

Here is how to back up the 'pinned items' in the Jump List.

The folder that contains these files is super hidden and the following is the only way to open this folder.

Press the WINKEY + R keys to bring up the Run dialog box. You can also simply type  run  in the Start/Search box and press ENTER.

In the Open: box, type the following path.

%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\AutomaticDestinations

Press OK.

The folder will open in Windows Explorer.

Now comes the fun part. You must determine which file contains the pinned list for the particular program you want to back up. All of the file names use the following format.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.automaticDestinations-ms (Where xxxxxxxxxx is a long alphanumeric number)

Open Notepad. Use the left mouse button and drag one of the files and drop it on the open Notepad window.
    Most of the text in these files is raw code and not human readable text. However, you will see some of the text is readable words.

The readable text will be the same words that are the name of the pinned items on a Jump List for one of the programs. You must compare the text in the file with the text in a jump list pinned item to determine which program that file is associated with. You can use the Edit/Find feature in Notepad to search for particular words.

Once you have found the file that is associated with a particular program that is pinned to the Taskbar you can simply copy/paste that file to a different folder for back up. If you ever lose the pinned items for that program, you can simply copy/paste that file back to the AutomaticDestinations folder. You may need to overwrite a file with the same name that has been subsequently create in that folder.

Notes:

1. The file for each program that is pinned to the Taskbar will always retain the same, exact name. In fact, I have found that these files have the same name even on different computers with different versions of Windows 7 installed. Here is a list of file names that are from some common programs that you can use to help locate these files.

28c8b86deab549a1.automaticDestinations-ms  = Internet Explorer 8 Pinned Jump List

adecfb853d77462a.automaticDestinations-ms  = Word 2007 Pinned Jump List

a8c43ef36da523b1.automaticDestinations-ms =  Word 2003 Pinned Jump List

1b4dd67f29cb1962.automaticDestinations-ms = Windows Explorer Jump List

2. Do Not attempt to change the name or permissions on the AutomaticDestinations folder. Doing so will completely destroy the Jump List functionality and possibly render your system vulnerable to a malicious infection.

3. These files do not affect the Default Options or the Recent Items in the Jump List.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP 

• Proposed as answer by Ronnie VernonMVP Monday, January 4, 2010 11:01 AM
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Tuesday, January 5, 2010 5:23 AM
    Monday, January 4, 2010 10:49 AM