none
Windows Media Player Extension "Add-on for this website failed to run" except for Administrator RRS feed

• Question

• This is on a Windows server 2008 r2. I am trying to allow users to watch help videos at a vendor site. If I remote desktop using the Administrator, I can play the videos and if I check the "manage add-ons", I see Windows Media Player as an extension.

If I remote desktop on as a "normal user" and try to view the same video, I get the error message "An add-on for this website failed to run" and if I check the "manage add-ons", Windows Media Player extension is not there. That makes sense, since if it is not there, it won't run.

Why isn't Windows Media Player extension showing up in IE 10 on the server for anyone other than Admin? How could I make this work? If I am somehow preventing this from taking place, where would I go on the server to change that?
    Wednesday, March 12, 2014 3:58 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Have you try adding this video website into trusted sites zone or compatibility view list?

Generally, improper security settings may casue failure to run some add-ons. So, please attempt to  decrease  security level for Internet Zone to check if this issue still occurs.

How do you think your issue is related to Windows Media Player extension? Based on my knowledge, Flash player plug-in can lead to the problem. Please reinstall your flash player for the current user.

Also, Please check in event log for more clues.

Andy Altmann
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, March 14, 2014 6:05 AM