none
Windows 10 - "Configure Automatic Updates" GPO Disabled not working RRS feed

• Question

• Have a client with existing GPO with setting "Configure Automatic Updates" set to Disabled. This has worked fine with their existing Windows 7 devices. We have a third party application to manage patching so do not want Windows to also install patches that are untested.

With their new devices on Windows 10, with the same GPO in place, they are installing updates from Microsoft ignoring this setting.

I have read up and though hundreds of posts about this, all sorts of BS about different settings none of which is clear. Microsoft's own articles on this still say setting to Disabled should work as intended. So why is there this bug? Why are Microsoft working on anything else while such a monumental bug exists?

How do I in a definite concrete way stop Microsoft installing updates (without disabled the Windows Update service) in Windows 10?

• Edited by A Wade Sunday, October 14, 2018 11:07 PM
    Sunday, October 14, 2018 10:58 PM

All replies

• Hi,

What version of Windows 10 is in question? If you're using a domain-based GPO, then it has to be either Pro or Enterprise. Update settings capabilities do differ between the two. I do understand you have a third party patching solution in place, but I use WSUS to deliver only the patches I approve and to disable the delivery of the biannual feature updates.

Jason

Sunday, October 14, 2018 11:39 PM
  • Hi,

Based on my knowledge, windows 10 always install cumulative updates automatically, even if you're against them, but you can try these steps in the following link to stop this behavior and decide when to install them.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-stop-updates-installing-automatically-windows-10

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Hope the information above can be helpful.

Best regards,

Lavilian

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 15, 2018 9:36 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Lavilian

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, October 18, 2018 9:39 AM
  • Hi,

Just want to confirm the current situations.

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.

Best Regards,

Lavilian

Monday, October 22, 2018 2:42 AM