none
Virtual DPM disk size RRS feed

• Question

• I have a DPM box that happens to be virtual box sitting on a HyperV host. The host has about 70TB of storage . The DPM box itself houses about 30TB of data.

I am trying to figure out the best way to handle providing disks to DPM. would 1 or 2 big 16+TB disk work best or would providing as many 2TB disk as it wanted be a better route?

Friday, June 2, 2017 8:14 PM

All replies

• I am still hoping for an answer to this question. If something is not clear i would be happy to attempt a better explanation.

Whats better in a virtual DPM setup.

1 large disk or a ton of smaller disks.

Wednesday, June 7, 2017 12:58 PM
  • Hi,

Assuming this is DPM 2012 R2, then I would recommend two 16TB disks.  DPM likes to place the replica and the recovery point volumes on different disks for performance reasons.  You can always grow the .VHDX files if you need to, or add another disk. 

If this is DPM 2016 on Windows 2016, then just create one big disk and make a single ReFs volume and add that to the storage pool.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, June 7, 2017 7:54 PM
  • This is DPM 2012 R2. It just feels like my DPM runs away with space when using 1 large disk. It seems like it wants contiguous for certain things. But as i delete or add more items to protect it can't fill the nooks and crannies. I will for sure use two disks per your recommendations but still wonder if there would be benefits to using more. 

• Edited by JustusIV Wednesday, June 7, 2017 9:25 PM
    Wednesday, June 7, 2017 9:25 PM