none
Windows 10 Start Menu problems RRS feed

• Question

• I had installed Windows 10 on my laptop. Earlier it had Windows 8.1. The operating system is giving me many issues and one of the major issues is that the Start Menu button is not working. When I click it, I get an error message "Your Windows Start menu has serious error, windows will fix it on your next login", then I have no other option but to log off from the system. When I login again, this problem is still present. Please guide me how to fix this once for all.

Thanks,

SBH025

Sunday, August 23, 2015 9:17 AM

Answers

• Hi SBH025,

Have you tried that suggestion that S.Sengupta provided?

Another suggestion from me is that you could try to create a new account to check the result.

In addition, run this command:

Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"} 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 24, 2015 8:55 AM

All replies

• Have you tried restarting your PC?

If you could not restart using start menu, you could press Windows Key+L and that will Lock your PC and you could unlock and in sign in page, in down right corner, click on Power button to restart and see if problem solved.

Sunday, August 23, 2015 11:57 AM
  • 1) Press Windows + x on your keyboard.

2) Select Command prompt (Admin) to open Administrator Command Prompt .

3) In the Administrator: Command Prompt window, type the following commands. Press the Enter key after each command:
    dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth
    dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

If the issue persists, runSFC Scan. SFC scan would scan for corrupt system files on the computer and replace them.

a. Click on Start button and type cmd in search box.

b. Right-click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.

c. Type the following command and hit Enter.

sfc /scannow  

S.Sengupta, Windows Experience MVP

Sunday, August 23, 2015 12:25 PM
  • Hi SBH025,

Have you tried that suggestion that S.Sengupta provided?

Another suggestion from me is that you could try to create a new account to check the result.

In addition, run this command:

Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"} 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 24, 2015 8:55 AM