App-V Management Server - Server Groups and Provider Policies Nodes RRS feed

• Question

• I am new to Application Virtualization Management Server and am trying to understand some things about the console.  I have the Management Server installed, but have questions about a few of the nodes.

Server Groups node
    Provider Policies node

What are they and why would I use them?  I read the included product Help, but it doesn't provide a verbose enough description to explain to me how they are useful to me.  Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thursday, July 1, 2010 11:47 AM

Answers

• You would use the Server Groups node to create logical groups of servers that might be servicing different types of clients, e.g. one group services Terminal Servers, whilst another group services desktop machines.

Provider Policies have several functions - they provide authentication information, i.e. how will users authenticate to the Management Server; they can define the refresh settings for the App-V client; and define some licensing settings.

You can apply Provider Policies to Server Groups, so you could have different Server Group that may service different client types or Windows domains and have consistent settings across each set of servers.

• Proposed as answer by znack Friday, July 2, 2010 8:37 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Monday, December 19, 2011 1:51 PM
    Thursday, July 1, 2010 12:30 PM

All replies

• You would use the Server Groups node to create logical groups of servers that might be servicing different types of clients, e.g. one group services Terminal Servers, whilst another group services desktop machines.

Provider Policies have several functions - they provide authentication information, i.e. how will users authenticate to the Management Server; they can define the refresh settings for the App-V client; and define some licensing settings.

You can apply Provider Policies to Server Groups, so you could have different Server Group that may service different client types or Windows domains and have consistent settings across each set of servers.

• Proposed as answer by znack Friday, July 2, 2010 8:37 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Monday, December 19, 2011 1:51 PM
    Thursday, July 1, 2010 12:30 PM
  • I'm still trying to wrap my head around this, but thank you for the example.

I guess first I need to understand why I would need more than one App-V Management Server.

For example, if I have three gloabl headquarters (America, Europe, and Asia), am I correct in thinking I would want a App-V Management Server for each so that the clients retrieve their applications from their regional Content folder?  This seems like an administrative burden and complex to manage.  And what if the client roams?

I'm assuming there is some way to setup one App-V Management Server with a DFS share for content, and then clients would pull from that location, based on their AD Site, no?

Thursday, July 1, 2010 1:07 PM
  • In that instance then, you would probably need 3 separate instances of the Management Server database - note that the App-V Management Server does not currently support SQL replication.

In each data centre, however; if you implement Management Servers (and you may have multiple for redundancy and/or performance) that service all client types, then you would not need any server groups beyond the Default Server Group.

You can configure DFS-R between all data centres, so that all 3 App-V server instances could see the same Content share.

Thursday, July 1, 2010 1:11 PM
  • Aaron - doesn't SP2 add sql replication?

/Znack
    Thursday, July 1, 2010 3:26 PM
  • No, it adds database mirroring, which is for redundancy not creating a distributed management infrastructure: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc917680.aspx
    Thursday, July 1, 2010 4:06 PM
  • No, it add database mirroring, which is for redundancy not creating a distributed management infrastructure: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc917680.aspx
    I really need to get some sleep :P
    Thursday, July 1, 2010 9:24 PM