none
Bitlocker, Windows 10 pro, Galaxy TabPro S Gold RRS feed

• Question

• samsung galaxy TabPro S gold (256g drive,8 g memory)
    I just upgraded to Windows 10 pro so I could use Bitlocker.
    this way I can travel,and have personal business documents on the machine, encrypted.

When I cold boot the machine, I want Bitlocker to request a PIN.
    HOWEVER, Bitlocker starts to encrypt the drive (when installed) without requesting what PIN I Want.

I changed the Bitlocker registry settings, to require TPM + PIN
    but then tried to encrypt teh drive and bitlocker states that some policies are in conflict.

The issue seems to be that since this is a tablet (even though it has an external keyboard), Bitlocker is concerned whether the onscreen keyboard will work as a PRE-BOOT keyboard;  that is, come up at BOOT-UP, Not just come up at the WINDOWS Log-ON

can ANYONE tell me if this device's keyboard can indeed come up at a PRE-BOOT time, thus letting Bitlocker get a PIN ENTRY from on-screen?

I would like scenario where there is EITHER/OR, a PIN ENTRY, OR a USB stick entry (I would like EITHER optoin concurrently), so that if I am in SLATE mode, I can just plug in the USB (if no on-screen keyboard), and If I have it docked, I can use the keyboard

ANY assistance appreciated

Saturday, March 11, 2017 12:50 PM

All replies

• I found this article from Dell, maybe this is applicable:
    How to Use BitLocker on a Tablet with PIN
    But this may not be supported by all Bios:
    Need onscreen keyboard to enter Bitlocker Pin on Surface Tablet (no physical keyboard)
    Saturday, March 11, 2017 5:56 PM
  • thanks for  article.

problem is the PRE-WINDOWS keyboard that is needed.

when Bitlocker starts, windows (and its keyboard) is not active.

there needs to be a system-specific keyboard designed into the bios, .

actualy samsung has one, it pops up to enable entering SUPERVISOR/USER password, at te UFEI BIOS screen, but that same keyboard is NOT avaliable on the slate, when BITLOCKER pops up.

THUS, you need it connected to the docking keypad

I do thank you for the reply however

Saturday, March 11, 2017 6:18 PM
  • Hi nick,

but then tried to encrypt teh drive and bitlocker states that some policies are in conflict.

Could you let us know the exact error message when you select "Require Startup PIN With TPM" option?

Here is a guide, please check your operation:

How to Enable a Pre-Boot BitLocker PIN on Windows

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 13, 2017 6:10 AM
  • karen,

thanks for reply.  I followed the directions.  when the option of REQUIRE....  was selected, the CONFLICT message came up, I can't remember exactly what the message was.  BUT, I went back and selected "ALLOW...    instead of "REQUIRE...

THEN,  somehow went to MANAGE bitlocker, and DID have option to ADD a PIN, and was able to add teh PIN to it.

SO, end result was i was able to add the pin, through some convolution of that article.

UNFORTUNATELY, that machine was having some blue screens of death and some restarts.  I had JUST bought it.  SO, I then ran a memory diagnostic test, and BUMMER, it has memory errors.  SO, I returned it to BestBuy two days ago, and just got a new one.  I ran the extgended memory test on that one (new one), and it has no errors, so I now have to reload windows 10 pro onto it, etc, etc.

Monday, March 13, 2017 11:36 AM
  • need it connected to the docking keypad

In the case of a Surface fortunately Touch will bring up an OSK but not a mouse.  Did you try using Touch in your case too?

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 5:07 AM
  • thanks for reply

QUESTION (not to sound stupid) - WHAT is Touch?  is it an app, setting, etc?

OR, is it just trying to touch the screen?  if that is the case, just touching the screen, yes, i tried that, no response from the machine.

if it's a setting, where would that be located?

thanks

nick

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 9:53 AM
  • nick,

Please give us the screenshot your BitLocker group policy below:

Meanwhile, try again to record the exact error message.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 15, 2017 8:18 AM