none
"Outlook 2010 The operation failed. An object could not be found"

Question

• Software Windows 7 64 bit and Outlook 2010 (recent release from Technet).

When Outlook is open there are occaisions when it will repeatedly give "The operation failed. An object could not be found" error. This occurs as other windows such as IE are opened and closed on the desktop, for each open and close this error occurs, with no specific activity taking place in Outlook. I did not have this issue with the Office 2010 beta. I have re installed Outlook but the probelm is still there. It's not there all the time but will suddenly start to produce these errors and has to be killed in task manager. Any thoughts on probable fixes would be most welcome.

SM

Friday, May 14, 2010 4:42 PM

Answers

• Thanks for your response. I have since completely reinstalled Windows and Outlook due to some odd issues with other software and this problem seems to have been resolved.
    • Marked as answer by Sally Tang Wednesday, May 19, 2010 9:45 AM
    Tuesday, May 18, 2010 1:27 PM

All replies

• Based on my research, this error usually occurs when the current Outlook profile is corrupted. We can test this issue in a new Outlook profile.

Here are the detailed steps on how to create a new profile to test this issue

==============

1.    Exit Outlook.

2.    Go to Start > Control Panel, click or double-click Mail.

Mail appears in different Control Panel locations depending upon the version of the Microsoft Windows operating system, Control Panel view selected, and whether a 32- or 64-bit operating system or version of Outlook is installed.

The easiest way to locate Mail is to open Control Panel in Windows, and then in the Search box at the top of window, type Mail. In Control Panel for Windows XP, type Mail in the Address box.

Note    The Mail icon appears after Outlook starts for the first time.

The title bar of the Mail Setup dialog box contains the name of the current profile. To select a different existing profile, click Show Profiles, select the profile name, and then click Properties.

3.    Click Show Profiles. Choose Prompt for a profile to be used.

4.    Click Add.

5.    Type a name for the profile, and then click OK.

6.    Start Outlook, and choose this new profile.

If the problem does not occur in the new profile, the old profile is corrupted and we can use the new profile.

Monday, May 17, 2010 10:10 AM
  • Thanks for your response. I have since completely reinstalled Windows and Outlook due to some odd issues with other software and this problem seems to have been resolved.
    • Marked as answer by Sally Tang Wednesday, May 19, 2010 9:45 AM
    Tuesday, May 18, 2010 1:27 PM
  • I am glad to hear that the problem is resolved :)

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

Wednesday, May 19, 2010 9:45 AM
  • I'm having the same problem.  I tried the sequence above and chose the new profile.  Still no luck.

I have tried to delete the old profile and that hasn't helped.  I deleted the profile from within the mail settings, but then outlook still has a folder for it and when I tried to delete that folder, it says I can't do that because some information is being copied to my new profile.  It's no longer the default profile though, but could it still be mucking things up?

NOTE: The account settings test just fine.  It sent the test message and I was able to see it using my other computer.   But Outlook just keeps given me the object not found error when I try send/receive from within the program.

Friday, April 01, 2011 2:48 PM
  • Perfect!  W7 64bit OS, worked as promised.  Thanks. 
    Wednesday, January 04, 2012 1:23 AM
  • I'm having the same problem.  I tried the sequence above and chose the new profile.  Still no luck.

I have tried to delete the old profile and that hasn't helped.  I deleted the profile from within the mail settings, but then outlook still has a folder for it and when I tried to delete that folder, it says I can't do that because some information is being copied to my new profile.  It's no longer the default profile though, but could it still be mucking things up?

NOTE: The account settings test just fine.  It sent the test message and I was able to see it using my other computer.   But Outlook just keeps given me the object not found error when I try send/receive from within the program.

I'm having the same problem running windows 7 64bit with Outlook. I'm trying to connect to Rackspace via IMAP connection and while the test emails work fine, and I'm able to see the emails in their correct folders I am unable to send email. The email is going to the outbox, which should not be the case and when I try using send receive I get object not found message. I noticed that this message comes up when I try to configure the send and receive options as well. I've tried both SSL and open connections. I also have deleted profiles, uninstalled office, deleted pst files to no avail. If you could please assist it would be greatly appreciated

Thank you

Judah

Thursday, June 07, 2012 6:54 PM
  • Hi Sally,

Good Day!

Thank you very much for the info because my problem is solved.

Thursday, October 05, 2017 6:07 AM