none
Removing tasks after a baseline is set RRS feed

• Question

• I use MS Project 2010 Standard.

I need some advice about the best way to remove tasks from a schedule without affecting a previous baseline. For tasks that are no longer needed, I usually just zero-out the work. I like to add the baseline columns in the Gantt Chart view so I can compare the baseline to the current plan. I don't want to see the tasks in the current plan, so is there a way to delete the task, but still see it in the previous baseline?

Thanks, Shawn

Thursday, November 15, 2012 4:45 PM

Answers

• Shawn, what you're doing is the least error prone method. Zero out work and duration for tasks that are no longer required. The problem, as you realise, is that if you delete the task and then want to see how the baseline on a summary task is made up, you don't have the detail to support it.

In any case it is a good diea to use a custom flag field to identify the tasks that are no longer required for the project. You can use these either to filter out those tasks so they do not display in the current plan view - or to select them for partial baselining if ever you do want to remove just the effect of these tasks from the summary total baseline.

Graham

• Marked as answer by Shawn.Gilbert Friday, November 16, 2012 12:40 PM
    Thursday, November 15, 2012 8:17 PM
  • No. By deleting the task you delete its baseline as well. However its summary task's baseline remains unchanged. Your approach of zeroing work is good and maybe also zeroing duration. Project Pro has the inactive feature which works well.

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book

Rod Gill Project Management

Thursday, November 15, 2012 8:21 PM

All replies

• Shawn, what you're doing is the least error prone method. Zero out work and duration for tasks that are no longer required. The problem, as you realise, is that if you delete the task and then want to see how the baseline on a summary task is made up, you don't have the detail to support it.

In any case it is a good diea to use a custom flag field to identify the tasks that are no longer required for the project. You can use these either to filter out those tasks so they do not display in the current plan view - or to select them for partial baselining if ever you do want to remove just the effect of these tasks from the summary total baseline.

Graham

Thursday, November 15, 2012 8:17 PM
  • No. By deleting the task you delete its baseline as well. However its summary task's baseline remains unchanged. Your approach of zeroing work is good and maybe also zeroing duration. Project Pro has the inactive feature which works well.

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book

Rod Gill Project Management

Thursday, November 15, 2012 8:21 PM
  • Thanks for the responses Graham and Rod.  The custom flag field is a good idea.  I will use that to filter out the tasks that are no longer needed.

Shawn

Friday, November 16, 2012 12:42 PM