none
Term Services 2012R2 Multiple session collections on one Broker Server

Question

• I have built a Term Services deployment  for my sales department and has been running very well for 6 months. I am adding a second session collection for my finance department and am not sure how to handle DNS entries for my remote clients. I do not understand how the broker will send users to correct collection. Do I setup a DNS round robin entry for each session collection?

If so that has caused issues before with older deployments as the connection gets cached and when server is removed from deployment it causes issues with users trying to connect.

Any help would be appreciated. 

Friday, November 13, 2015 9:48 PM

Answers

• Hello, I assume you have a Windows 2012/2012R2 environment since you are talking about collections. In windows 2012 and onwards, there is no need for you to set DNS entries for each session collection unlike the way you had to do it for Farms in 2008 R2 and earlier.

Windows 2k12 onwards, you need to make DNS entry for connection broker, if you have more than one connection brokers, where in you will have to create a virtual name and point to each of the connection brokers' IPs you have in the environment. Multiple collections are handled in a different way than multiple farms were handled.

In farms' scenario, one had to make DNS entry for the Farmname pointing to each of the RDSH servers participating in the farm, based on that it would first go to one of the RDSH servers, which will contact the CB to get an appropriate server to establish a session.

However, in multiple collections scenario, one connects to the connection broker first. Connection broker reads the TSVUrl (read following for more information: http://blogs.technet.com/b/askperf/archive/2015/06/11/walkthrough-on-session-hint-tsvurl-on-windows-server-2012.aspx) and based on that passes the client to one of the servers participating in that collection (this information of who all are participating in the collection is pulled by connection broker from its database, however the TSVUrl is provided by the remoteapp settings if you are connecting from RD Web access). this does not need DNS entry to be done for collection because connection broker maintains a record of all the collections and the RDSH participating in them.

Hope you are using RD Web access to connect because otherwise you would not be getting the much required TSVUrl for connecting to the desired collection which you get from the Remoteapps' RDP properties.

Hope this helps.

Naresh Negi (MSFT - Windows Performance Team) Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Saturday, November 14, 2015 8:10 PM

All replies

• Hello, I assume you have a Windows 2012/2012R2 environment since you are talking about collections. In windows 2012 and onwards, there is no need for you to set DNS entries for each session collection unlike the way you had to do it for Farms in 2008 R2 and earlier.

Windows 2k12 onwards, you need to make DNS entry for connection broker, if you have more than one connection brokers, where in you will have to create a virtual name and point to each of the connection brokers' IPs you have in the environment. Multiple collections are handled in a different way than multiple farms were handled.

In farms' scenario, one had to make DNS entry for the Farmname pointing to each of the RDSH servers participating in the farm, based on that it would first go to one of the RDSH servers, which will contact the CB to get an appropriate server to establish a session.

However, in multiple collections scenario, one connects to the connection broker first. Connection broker reads the TSVUrl (read following for more information: http://blogs.technet.com/b/askperf/archive/2015/06/11/walkthrough-on-session-hint-tsvurl-on-windows-server-2012.aspx) and based on that passes the client to one of the servers participating in that collection (this information of who all are participating in the collection is pulled by connection broker from its database, however the TSVUrl is provided by the remoteapp settings if you are connecting from RD Web access). this does not need DNS entry to be done for collection because connection broker maintains a record of all the collections and the RDSH participating in them.

Hope you are using RD Web access to connect because otherwise you would not be getting the much required TSVUrl for connecting to the desired collection which you get from the Remoteapps' RDP properties.

Hope this helps.

Naresh Negi (MSFT - Windows Performance Team) Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Saturday, November 14, 2015 8:10 PM
  • I appreciate the info above! I do have web access enabled however when I go to web access portal it does not show new connection!

Monday, November 16, 2015 6:38 PM
  • What do you see in the RDWeb? Is it a blank page? Do you see any remoteapps? Have you published any remoteapps in the collection? Is the RDweb part of your deployment? Any screenshots would help.

Monday, November 16, 2015 7:01 PM
  • It says I cannot upload images until they verify my account. That said I cannot see any place to make that happen within my profile.
    Wednesday, November 18, 2015 12:59 PM
  • Wednesday, November 18, 2015 2:34 PM
  • Wednesday, November 18, 2015 2:39 PM
  • So the goal is to connect to these via Wyse thin terminals. And I need the added "hint"??? line for the connect string that would direct users to the correct collection. As to the remote apps question it looks like if I publish apps it will unpublish desktops.

Wednesday, November 18, 2015 2:43 PM
  • Correct.  You will need to make a separate collection to publish RemoteApps.  The two cannot be combined into the same collection.  It looks like Nagesh answered your questions around the URL/DNS issue above. 
    Thursday, November 19, 2015 2:07 AM
  • I created two collections, one that is a published app collection, and one that is complete desktop collection. When I go into registry as directed only the app collection has a tsvurl. Actually in our environment we only want to publish multiple collections of desktops. So am I going to have to use multiple brokers to accomplish this? Is there no way to create a "hint" for a desktop collection

Here are the configurations I pulled.

redirectclipboard:i:1
    redirectprinters:i:1
    redirectcomports:i:0
    redirectsmartcards:i:1
    devicestoredirect:s:*
    drivestoredirect:s:*
    redirectdrives:i:1
    session bpp:i:32
    prompt for credentials on client:i:1
    server port:i:3389
    allow font smoothing:i:1
    promptcredentialonce:i:1
    gatewayusagemethod:i:2
    gatewaycredentialssource:i:0
    use multimon:i:1
    full address:s:ISQ-TSBROKER-03.CORP.ISQFT.CO
    gatewayprofileusagemethod:i:1
    gatewayhostname:s:isq-tsbroker-03.corp.isqft.co
    videoplaybackmode:i:1
    audiocapturemode:i:1

redirectclipboard:i:1
    redirectprinters:i:1
    redirectcomports:i:0
    redirectsmartcards:i:1
    devicestoredirect:s:*
    drivestoredirect:s:*
    redirectdrives:i:1
    session bpp:i:32
    prompt for credentials on client:i:1
    server port:i:3389
    allow font smoothing:i:1
    promptcredentialonce:i:1
    videoplaybackmode:i:1
    audiocapturemode:i:1
    gatewayusagemethod:i:2
    gatewayprofileusagemethod:i:1
    gatewaycredentialssource:i:0
    full address:s:ISQ-TSBROKER-03.CORP.ISQFT.CO
    gatewayhostname:s:isq-tsbroker-03.corp.isqft.co
    workspace id:s:ISQ-TSBROKER-03.corp.isqft.co
    use redirection server name:i:1
    loadbalanceinfo:s:tsv://MS Terminal Services Plugin.1.Sales
    use multimon:i:1
    alternate full address:s:ISQ-TSBROKER-03.CORP.ISQFT.CO
    signscope:s:Full Address,Alternate Full Address,Use Redirection Server Name,Server Port,GatewayHostname,GatewayUsageMethod,GatewayProfileUsageMethod,GatewayCredentialsSource,PromptCredentialOnce,RedirectDrives,RedirectPrinters,RedirectCOMPorts,RedirectSmartCards,RedirectClipboard,DevicesToRedirect,DrivesToRedirect,LoadBalanceInfo

Thursday, November 19, 2015 2:02 PM
  • Hi David,

I do not understand how the broker will send users to correct collection.

Actually in our environment we only want to publish multiple collections of desktops. So am I going to have to use multiple brokers to accomplish this?

One Connection Broker can serve multiple collections within a RDS deployment.

The “hint” is provided when users initiate the remote desktop connection via RDC or RD Web, which is to specify collection name when using RDC, or click on the appropriate remoteapp/desktop icon within RD Web Access page.

Regarding configuring DNS entries for multiple collections, please create multiple host records as in collection name + Connection Broker’s IP address, the Connection Broker would redirect users to the right collection based on “hint” I mentioned above.

Best Regards,

Amy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 14, 2015 9:33 AM
  • Hi David,

Yes, for your specific scenario, you would need multiple brokers.

As the blog suggests towards the end:

"Whenever such a client comes, the DefaultTsvUrl sends it to one single collection as specified in the registry value. DefaultTsvUrl can only point to one single collection only and thus you may want to plan and create a single collection for non compatible clients that has all their required apps in it. There is no provision of defining multiple collections in this registry so if you want to use incompatible clients over multiple collections then it won't be possible."

What Amy suggested is also right, one connection broker can cater to multiple collections but not for your scenario where you need to use defaulttsvurl which can only point to single collection.

Monday, December 14, 2015 11:41 AM