none
Project Center Permission Issues RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have 2 issues where Project Center doesn't conform to permissions (Project Server Mode):

1. Users can see all projects in Project Center, even if we remove them from all groups and give them only permission to log-in to Web App. 

2. A user (with proper permissions) clicks on a project in Project Center to see the schedule details - he gets a message "Either you don't have permissions to use the available view, or there is no view available to display the data. Contact the person who manages your Project Web App site.". When I act as his delegate and check this, things work fine

Did any of you bumped into this?

Barak

Monday, May 9, 2016 1:52 PM

Answers

• After opening a ticket to Microsoft, I learnt an interesting thing.

In Online environments (only!!!), if I'm an administrator, I can't check permissions as delegate (what I did). Even as delegate, I see the projects that I have permissions to. Not the projects that the delegated person has permission to (or is it a combination?)

However, On-Premises (Server 2013 and Server 2016) delegation impacts permissions.

According to Microsoft, this difference is BY DESIGN.

Regards,

Barak

Monday, May 23, 2016 12:14 PM

All replies

• Hi Barak,

Where to start with this?  As stated neither 1 nor 2 should work, but it's impossible to diagnose with the details. 

All I can suggest you do is create a new test group and test category based upon the standard templates for a team member.  Then, for a new user assigned to these test group only, see if the same results happen. 

Have a look at  http://www.applepark.co.uk/project-server-security-explained/ for an explanation of how permissions work.

Have you got permissions per user (bad practise).

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | P2O

Monday, May 9, 2016 5:46 PM
  • Hi Ben,

Since I'm quite experienced with this (~8 years) and I had one of my colleagues double-check me, I suspect that the problem is not in the configuration but in the environment. My question is if anyone met such an issue with the new Online.

One example:

1. A user has no Global Permissions assigned to her directly

2. The only group she belongs to is Project Managers

3. The group has some global permissions assigned, but these global permissions can't grant access to all projects

4. The group has access to only one category - My Projects

5. In My Projects category, in Projects section, the radio button for "Only include the selected projects..." is selected, No project is selected by name and the only check-box marked is "The User is the Project Owner or the User is the Status Manager on assignments within that Project"

6. The didn't start to work on the server, so she can't be a status manager to anything

Still... the user sees all server projects in Project Center

Regards,

Barak

Sunday, May 15, 2016 7:49 AM
  • okay, and about the only thing you didn't confirm was if there are any categories associated directly with the user.  If this is not the case, then I would suggest setting up a new group as per the post above....

Monday, May 16, 2016 8:24 PM
  • There are no categories assigned directly.

Actually, if I remove her from all groups and give her (directly) only the 2 permissions: to log on to PWA and View Project Center - she still sees all projects (and that's true also to other users.

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 5:08 AM
  • If this is project online then I would raise a support call with Microsoft.  Please post back when you find the answer...

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 5:31 AM
  • After opening a ticket to Microsoft, I learnt an interesting thing.

In Online environments (only!!!), if I'm an administrator, I can't check permissions as delegate (what I did). Even as delegate, I see the projects that I have permissions to. Not the projects that the delegated person has permission to (or is it a combination?)

However, On-Premises (Server 2013 and Server 2016) delegation impacts permissions.

According to Microsoft, this difference is BY DESIGN.

Regards,

Barak

Monday, May 23, 2016 12:14 PM