none
Cumulative vs. ACWP, BSWS, BCWP cost curves in reports RRS feed

• Question

• Three questions:

1. In Project 2013, I want to generate a cost curve report showing cumulative baseline cost, cumulative actual cost, and cumulative planned cost curves (I used to do this in Project 2010, with cash flow cost report data that I would transfer to Excel and create a cumulative cost table, which I would chart.) In Project 2013, in the report generator, the earned value cost curves for the actuals (the only way I know to get cumulatives) revert to zero past the current date and become a flat line across the bottom. I want them to stop at the current date. How do I do this? I've tried filtering, but don't know how to restrict a date range to one particular (cost) category. And, the edit data option is grayed out.

2. It seems I am now limited to using earned value measures rather than the old baseline, actual, and planned. What am I missing?

3. And, it appears the pre-set cumulative cost curve in Project 2013, is a planned cost? Can this be changed to baseline, or anything else?

Thanks.

Saturday, April 5, 2014 5:00 AM

All replies

• Once the data is in MSP, it's available to you. You can always get the raw data directly from the task usage view or the resource usage view, copy it and paste int o a spreadhseet or anywhere else. You will have to adjust the timescale and copy (sometimes fiddly) but it is there.
    Sunday, April 6, 2014 12:41 AM
  • The Baseline Cost Visual Report in Project 2013 shows Baseline Cost, Actual Cost, and Cost data in Excel.  As far as I know that is the only way to calculate cumulative data for Project 2013.  While the cumulative cost data is available in the Dashboard reports, the baseline data is only there through Earned Value.

You can edit the timeline in he dashboard reports available through the Earned Value Charts.  Click the Chart to show the Field List pane, in the Category list, select Time - and click the Edit button to show the Edit Timescale window.

Edit the Finish value to stop the timescale.

Sunday, April 6, 2014 5:36 PM
  • Yes, this works. Using task usage view, I changed the report to show weekly baseline cost, cost, and actual cost. In the project summary task line all three show up totaled for that period. I just copy and paste to an Excel table, add a cumulative cost table, and chart. Bingo.   Thanks.

Tuesday, April 8, 2014 3:20 AM
  • I had problems with the Baseline Cost Visual Report. It came out over tasks, I wanted over time and a line graph. I tried some editing, but didn't quite get it.

The Earned Value Over Time Visual Report looked promising. I tried it and got years by quarter, rather than weeks (as I had requested). Again, my edit skills failed me. I'll keep trying with these reports.

I tried the edit timescale as suggested, but it controls all categories. I wanted to be selective to what data covered what time period, thus removing the zeros in actual weeks that are yet to happen while maintaining the overall totals for the baseline and cost at the end of the project.

Thanks, I'll keep trying. I have a lot to learn.

Tuesday, April 8, 2014 3:34 AM
  • What shows in the charts is driven by the pivot table on the other tab.  You can move fields around in the pivot table field list to re-draw the chart as needed.  You can also change the Chart Type from Column to line.  I dragged the weekly calendar from the filter area to the category axis, turned off the tasks and have a quick line chart plotting baseline cost against actual costs.

You cannot edit the timescale for just one value - sorry.

Tuesday, April 8, 2014 2:31 PM