none
Resouces change from Work to Material Resources accross projects on Server RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We have recently started using Project Server 2013 and I have had a persistent problem for the last 3 weeks.

There are 50+ Work recourses on our system and yet the same 3 resources keep switching to material recourses. Their names go blank and only the custom field information remains intact when viewed from the resource sheet.

This seems to happen on some, but not all of the projects that they have work assigned on.

I have gone though the security settings and I am quite sure that the project managers do not have the ability to edit resource information. On top of that they perform two different functions and are rarely assigned to the same task.

I have also been through the resources and there is nothing different between there setup and everyone else's.

Every time this happens I open the resource sheet on every project (no small task) open the resource sheet, switch them back to work resources and then replace these blanks with the actual resource in the 'build team from enterprise'. After a couple of days they start going blank again.

I can find no link. Any ideas?

• Edited by Samsco_uk Monday, December 16, 2013 3:02 PM
    Monday, December 16, 2013 2:56 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Samsco,

Since enterprise resources are defined in the enterprise resource pool, they cannot be edited and changed directly in a project, unless copied as local resources. To edit enterprise resources, a user with advanced rights must access the resource center or the server settings then edit the resource.

Can you check if resources that have been modified are not local resources in the project plan, actually copied from the corresponding enterprise resources? There should be an icon in the resource sheet mentionning that it is a local resource.

I've been thinking to the AD sync, but there is not reason why it would switch resources type to material..

Hoep this helps.

Guillaume Rouyre - MBA, MCP, MCTS

Monday, December 16, 2013 3:07 PM
  • Hi Guillaume,

Thanks for the response.

I don't no if the Work/Material switch is a symptom of the dissociation of these resources from the enterprise resource pool but when I have made the correction, all the resources are on the server (No local resource), which are mapped to the active directory. They only become local resources when whatever is happening happens.

In spite of the change in the project plans the resources always appear unchanged on the server's enterprise resource pool. I can't work out how I would do this as an admin. Surely if you made changes to a resource within a project it would simply become a local resource and yet it seems to spread to projects owned by different PMs.

It is the strangest thing.

Cheers

Sam

Monday, December 16, 2013 3:18 PM
  • Hi Sam,

So it seems like those enterprise resources are copied as local resources in various project plans. The big question is : is it a bug or is it an inadequate manipulation from the project managers?

The first step would be to ensure that the project managers do everything right. For example, if they type manually the resource name in the resource field instead of choosing it from the resource drop down menu, they might enter a wrong character. Then it will create a local resource.

Hope this helps.

Guillaume Rouyre - MBA, MCP, MCTS

Monday, December 16, 2013 3:28 PM
  • Hi Guillaume,

This is where I am. I am being assured by the PM's that they are doing it that way and I am reminding them of this almost daily.

In all honesty I do not believe that they are causing it by typing/deleting as opposed to selecting/deselecting the resources. It messes up their plans and is causing them work.

I had suggested that that might be the cause to them and I went through the correct method with them. I don't know if it is something they are doing but I really don't think it would be that. (but I will go through it again with them)

Any other ideas?

Cheers

Sam

Monday, December 16, 2013 3:37 PM
  • Hi there, Just to confirm Sam's findings, we face a similar issue with a customer. Project Server 2013 April CU and corresponding client hot fix. Some work resources switch to material resources for no apparent reason inside a project. The weird thing is that it happens in the working version of a project, published version seems ok. Evidently these material resources are not in ERP, they are shown locally inside the project. The customer does not re-publish until further notice :)
    Friday, January 17, 2014 7:41 AM
  • Hi Sam, Guillaume and Tasanton,

This is something we are currently investigating and have seen with both Project Online and Project Server 2013.  The resources can be recovered by using build team from enterprise and adding them back to the plan - you will then see that they appear back on their assignments as the ID for the strange material resource that replaced them is still actually the resources correct ID.  Also as you mentioned they are still correct in the published DB - so depending how fresh that copy is you could open that one and save over the original (avoid this if you use timesheets as the task GUIDs will change).

You mentioned that the same three resources were replaced - we have also seen that once you have a project in this state - that if you open other projects then any resource in the new plan that is already lost is in the existing plan goes into this state.  So take care opening other plans if you see this condition.

We are working on a fix currently - no release date that I can share yet - but rest assured this is being treated with utmost urgency.  obviously this is a bug - so if you need assistance with the recovery then please open a support incident - we do not charge (or we will refund - depending on the incident type) as this is a bug. 

I'm sorry for the inconvenience that this issue has caused you and hope the details I have shared here will help you to recover from, and control the spread to other projects.  I will update this thread - and will be adding a blog posting on this topic soon.

Best regards,

Brian

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page

Friday, January 17, 2014 2:56 PM
    Owner
  • Thanks Brian for your detailed reply. We have actually opened a ticket with MS.

Friday, January 17, 2014 7:15 PM
  • Quick update on this topic - we have identified the root cause and have a fix going through final coding and testing. We expect to release more information early next week - I'll update here and also post a blog article. Again, if you are seeing this issue then please open a support incident. The good news is that we expect to be able to get a fix out very quickly rather than waiting for the next CU - and also expect to have a script that will correct any plans affected by this problem. This also applies to Project Online - and again we can patch the service quickly and also run the repair script as required.  Obviously as we are still in testing things could change - more soon.

Best regards,

Brian.

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page

Thursday, January 23, 2014 5:54 PM
    Owner
  • Brian,

Do you have an update on this topic (or better: a release date for the fix)?

What can we expect from the fix, what will it exactly repair?

Kind regards,

Marcello

Tuesday, February 4, 2014 8:21 AM
  • Hi Marcello, Please see the blog post at http://blogs.technet.com/b/projectsupport/archive/2014/02/06/project-server-2013-and-project-online-what-happened-to-my-resources.aspx.

This is already fixed in Project Online (we can patch VERY quickly).  We can help you with a fix if you open a support incident - the blog post contains more information - the fix stops it happening but does not put everything straight again.

Best regards,

Brian.

Friday, February 7, 2014 6:39 AM
    Owner