none
Virtual Windows Server 2003 does not detect Host's 64-bit Architecture RRS feed

• Question

• I am setting up a new server and migrating some older services to it using Hyper-V.

The physical machine is a DELL PowerEdge 2970, Dual Opteron Quad Core, 16GB Memory, and is running Win2K8R2 Standard (64-bit), Hyper-V Host

The Client machine is running Win2K3R2 Standard (32-bit), and I've configured it with 4 virtual processors and 8GB RAM.

The problem is that the Client only reports 4GB RAM, even though it also reports PAE enabled.

According to http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778%28v=vs.85%29.aspx#physical_memory_limits_windows_server_2003,  Win2KR3 Standard (32-bit) running on an x64 machine with PAE enabled should be allowed to access up to 32GB RAM.

I have tried manually enabling PAE using the /PAE flag in boot.ini.

I have searched the forums here for hyper-v and pae in various combinations with windows, server, 8GB, etc.

The results I have found (>2 years old) mostly state that Win2K8R2 can is not licensed for more than 4GB. None of the posts ever makes a distinction between running on a 32 vs 64 bit architecture as made in the link above.

Q1: Has anyone ever run Win2K8R2 on a 64 bit architecture in native mode and had access to more than 4GB Memoryy?

I have found posts that describe virtualization, specifically how the Hyper-V host reports physical attributes to Windows, and how that may affect the Server Licensing algorithms. From these discussions, I am guessing that the Hyper-V host is not reporting to the Client that it is running on a 64 bit architecture, and so therefore the Client Windows2K8R2 may still be ignoring the extra memory due to licensing issues.

Q2: Is there a hot fix to Hyper-V that updates how Hyper-V reports the virtual architecture to the Client machines?

Q3: If anyone answered Q1 affirmatively, is there a hot fix to Win2K8R2 that is required to get it to recognize more memory on 64 bit architectures.

What am I missing?

Dave.

Wednesday, March 30, 2011 5:08 PM