RHEL 5.2 support on R2 RRS feed

• Question

• Does R2 support the discovery and installation of agents on RHEL 5.2.  We continue to get certificate error on 3 servers and the DNS name and machine names are identical.  The installation worked flawlessly on RHEL 5.1.  I've seen older posts about XPlat not discovering 5.2 correctly so a manual agent install was required.  Each error message mentioned that there wasn't enough available entropy, whatever this means.   I'd post the exact error messages but I don't have them available at this time.  Also, the supported configurations doc says RHEL 5 is supported and doesn't break it down by the decimal, the administrators guide's Appendix A for dependancies specifically mentions only 5.1 not 5.2.  This is mis-leading as you don't really know if 5.2 is supported.  Does anyone have any input on this?

Thank you

Marc Schmieder
    • Moved by Robert Hearn Saturday, November 7, 2009 12:48 AM (From:Cross Platform - Red Hat)
    • Moved by Jundan Wu Wednesday, October 26, 2011 9:21 PM (From:Cross Platform Solutions for System Center)
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 11:52 PM

Answers

All replies

• An entropy error may indicate a problem generating the certificate request.  When this happens, the OpenSSL pseudo random number generator (PRNG) requires data from the /dev/*random devices or the entropy gathering daemon (EGD).

It might pay to look at the /dev/*random devices and perhaps check CSR generation on the RHEL server.

Generating CSRs using OpenSSL:
    http://info.ssl.com/Article.aspx?id=10082

Matt.
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 10:31 PM
  • Can anyone verify that RHEL 5.2 is supported by R2?
    Marc Schmieder
    Tuesday, August 4, 2009 3:58 PM
  • The discovery script makes no distinction of the minor version of the OS for Red Hat (unlike SLES), so 5.2 should be treated just like 5.

Robert Hearn • Sr. Program Manager
    Customer & Partner Community
    System Center Cross Platform & Interop

Read the Cross Platform & Interop team blog | Become a Fan on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter | Read my blog

• Proposed as answer by Robert_Hearn Friday, January 8, 2010 7:20 PM
    • Marked as answer by Robert_Hearn Monday, January 18, 2010 5:12 PM
    Tuesday, January 5, 2010 12:08 AM